Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 and i3XL differences

Posted by roontoon 
Prusa i3 and i3XL differences
January 03, 2014 07:18PM
I am starting to source parts and I want to confirm what I think it true. Is the only difference between a Prusa i3 and i3XL is rod length. If that is correct where can I get a bill of materials for the XL model? Can seem to find it. Thanks in advance.
Re: Prusa i3 and i3XL differences
January 04, 2014 09:53PM
Roontoon,

I am new here, but I believe the following is true. The Prusa I3 is open source design. I think the I3XL you are referring to is this;
[shop.diytechshop.com]

Which to my understanding is NOT an open source design, they took the Prusa I3 open source and made it bigger.

Prusa I3 here - [reprap.org]

b
January 05, 2014 03:41PM
Not all suppliers understand how open source design is supposed to work. Clearly DIY Tech Shop LLC infriges on the GPL license. But there is not much the original author (Josef Prusa) can do.

In any case, the only thing that's been done it seems is to stretch the original printer.

roontoon
Is the only difference between a Prusa i3 and i3XL is rod length.

Possibly. The original i3 is designed to accept a PCB heatbed which is 214mm wide. Usually with a glass pane over it, the build area is considered to be 200x200mm. The i3XL seems to have a build width in X of 220mm which is not far from 214. I know the alu frame opening is 260mm wide so it should be fine, that is unless the extruder conflicts with the x-ends.

This is from a Prusa i3 vanilla assembly I've been modeling for fun in FreeCAD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2014 03:43PM by NormandC.
January 09, 2014 05:55PM
Thanks for the replies. I would like a long bed and I am also looking at two heat beds and perhaps some adjustments to the stepper motor. Just trying to get some feed back as to if anyone has tried any of these mods.

d
January 09, 2014 08:35PM
Normandc, can you explain further how the gpl license is infringed upon? From what I have read the design, hardware and software are all open source. I understood that anyone can sell these kits Is that not true? There are many websites selling various repraps, are they all infringing? I also thought anyone could modify these designs, true?
January 09, 2014 08:45PM
It is my understanding that when providing software under the GPL license, one has to release any changes to the source files. DYI TechShop does not provide links to the original source files, nor does it provide files for their changes.

But I may be mistaken. To be honest I find those licensing matters very tiresome...
January 09, 2014 10:23PM
I did some further reading, and I think I see and agree with your point. I am no lawyer and those license agreements are very tough. Adrian Bowyers opinion is this

" I don't care about them because I know that by closing off the path that they have chosen, they have turned it into a reproductive cul de sac; they have made their machine sterile. "

And I think you were trying to say DIY Tech is closing of the path, modding it and not feeding back into the open source community, so I agree with that. At first I thought you were indicating they had infringed, because they were selling kits, but that was my own bad assumption.

No worries
b
January 09, 2014 10:31PM
Exactly. smiling smiley
January 31, 2014 12:23AM
I went ahead and removed the acrylic bed plate and the rest of the bed setup and bought one of these: MakerFarm 8.4x12.6

I then built a custom bed with springs and purchased an extra PSU to run it off of. Also, I purchased all of the extras that are offered with the MakerFarm heated PCB (Thermistor Kit and Relay).

I will post pictures soon. It is shaping up really nice though.

thumbs up
February 01, 2014 07:34PM
Hey,
I like the bed! and we will be looking into it.
Also to address the Adrian Bowyer and Josef Prusa and GPL comments.
The last time we were contacted by either person none of these things were mentioned by them.
Josef asked for our files quite a while ago, which have always been on github and the real credit and path belongs to Josef Prusa and all of his hard work and we always have a link to Josef Prusa.

Through self sustaining actions comes freedom

DIY Tech Shop
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login