Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cancelled Topic.

Posted by woodencase01 
Cancelled Topic.
February 15, 2014 11:16AM
Cancelled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2014 12:29PM by woodencase01.
Re: Invitation to a Extruders and HotEnds Google Group - Comments, suggest and share!
February 15, 2014 11:21AM
The CC-BY-NC is not an Open Source license, so you can't really call it an Open Source project.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
Re: Invitation to a Extruders and HotEnds Google Group - Comments, suggest and share!
February 15, 2014 11:34AM
I didn't know. How should it be called then?

Is the CC-BY-NC license a bad reputated license in the reprap community?
February 15, 2014 11:37AM
Also the NC does not apply to the actual product just the design files. Anyone can make your product and sell it without worry as long as they do not sell the files.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
February 15, 2014 12:29PM
Thank for both of your comments.

I think I'll just cancel this whole thing. I'm not enough informed about opensourcing and what it involves.
Re: Cancelled Topic.
February 15, 2014 01:50PM
Sorry I was not trying to scare you away. I know it is a misconception that the licenses we attach to things applies to the tangible goods and wanted to make sure you were aware that software licenses only apply to the code and not what is made using the code. In this community most people obey the software license as a hardware license since there is no such license for the hardware. A good example is Gen7 electronics. They are licensed with a NC clause and most people obey it and I do not know of any commercial offering that are not approved by the developer. I would really encourage you to release all the code as open-source without any clauses other than possibly attribution as it will increase the sales dramatically. No you will not get all the sales but anyone that cares and wants a good product will buy from you. Again Gen7 is a good example, they are a good set of electronics and even have some advantages over others available. But they are not popular because of the lack of availability so they do not get promoted unless someone is looking to make them themselves. Where as RAMPS is really popular and I do not think it has hurt the original developer at all having competition.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login