Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Only ONE BEARING on each side of z-axis (Mendel i2)--possible?

Posted by jpan 
Only ONE BEARING on each side of z-axis (Mendel i2)--possible?
March 15, 2014 12:02AM
I am considering a expanding of the maximum of the z-axis on my Mendel i2(which will make it's z from 8 (my machine's "unique" flaw, usually i2s have 10cm)) to as long as 15cm. I might need to eliminate one of the bearings on each side of z-axis. They're not those lengthened ones, so I'm wondering if it will effect the printing quality? To be specific, z-wobble or so. (I've already installed a useful mod on it so z-wobble doesn't exist so far with 2 bearings on each side)

Does anyone has this kind of experience?
Re: Only ONE BEARING on each side of z-axis (Mendel i2)--possible?
March 15, 2014 07:38AM
I'm not sure, but the original reason might be that the bearings have less force sideways when there are two installed, placed with a distance in between. So, my guess would be that the bearings live longer when you install two per axle.
March 15, 2014 08:34AM
You should have more room beneath X axis.

Why not reprint the X ends moving the top bearing to the bottom with associated strengthening of the stepper motor mount?
March 15, 2014 10:06AM
It actually was my originally plan to just move all the bearings and nuts beneath the x-axis, but I have to consider the printability. It would definitely be great to keep all the bearings. I'm still brainstorming anyways, hope I will come up with something better.
March 15, 2014 10:22AM
Good point about printability, I didn't think about that ... sorry!

So ... with that in mind how about printing the X ends in two pieces and bolting them together?

Or turn them over completely and make a new anchor point for the X belt?
March 15, 2014 01:39PM
I haven't thought about that, might be a good idea.
I have browsed on thingiverse and found something similar. I thing I missed a big problem. When the x-axis rise to a certain point the extruder will hit the beams on the top. I think I'll just take their plans instead of making my own......
March 15, 2014 02:05PM
Them essentially appeared to be this in the beginning will just simply switch many of the bearings plus almonds underneath the x-axis, nonetheless Need to obtain the printability. May well unquestionably often be superb to prevent many of the bearings. I'm just continue to brainstorming regardless, anticipation I can construct a little something improved.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login