Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

J-Head wire and an XT60 connector?

Posted by Dorian 
J-Head wire and an XT60 connector?
April 05, 2014 12:32AM
All,

When wiring a j-head do you use high temperature wire running the full length from the board to the resistor in the head? It seems like it would be fine just using short lengths of high temp wire between the connector at the head and the resistor. From the connector back to the board I would think that 14 awg auto wire is sufficient. I'm thinking that XT60 connectors are appropriate for this task. That's what I'm using for the connections to the power supply. What are your thoughts?

Diagram to clarify

|Board |=====14 awg wire ~2' (60cm)=====|XT60 Connector|=======high temp wire ~6" (15cm)=====|JHEAD|

Also, do you solder the connection between the resistor and the wire or do you crimp? I've heard some people state that they believe a soldered connection will melt and won't hold up.

There seems to be a mix of different wiring strategies for the jhead. Indeed, I think if you look at videos online you will find that everyone is assembling them differently. Looking for some informed opinions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2014 12:44AM by Dorian.
Re: J-Head wire and an XT60 connector?
April 06, 2014 08:15PM
No need to wire with high temp wire all the way back to the board, and I've used the XT60 without issue also.

Don't solder to the resistor as it will most likely reflow and short. Just take your time and make sure you have a good crimp.

I sleeve my crimped connection with a high temperature jacket that you can find in use on DC motor brushes to prevent shorts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login