Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

new? z endstop idea??

Posted by fahtal 
new? z endstop idea??
May 01, 2014 04:39AM
So the last few weeks i am testing en calibrating and testing and calibraitng and troubleshooting my prusa mendel. And this forum helped allot already. So thank you for the time you spend on the forum answering questions and making software!

I read that de z end stop sometimes need adjustment. So i thought can we do this differently? What if we attach an endstop wire to the extruder nozzle and we put an copper plate with the other endstop wire on the print surface. if the nozzle touches the copper plate the nozzel wil make contact and stop the motion?

Then if you know the thickness of the copper plate you can adjust it in the slicer. This also can be handy if you want to print on an object or an older print..

Or am i wrong?
Re: new? z endstop idea??
May 01, 2014 04:53AM
Its been suggested several times in the past.

May 01, 2014 04:59AM
ok so its not newwinking smiley

but did anyone test it or is it just a crappy idea?
May 01, 2014 06:17AM
I think it's not a good idea since we use kapton on our beds or other materials that are non-conductive.

Also, the auto-bed leveling system currently becoming more and more mature, seems like a much better idea smiling smiley
May 01, 2014 06:48AM
my idea was that you put the copper plate temporarely on the print surface.
May 01, 2014 07:24AM
Doesnt work as plastic builds up on the nozzel tip and you cant get a connection. you would have to heat hotend and wipe on something like wire brush first... not sire how many of those you could do before nozzle actulay starts to wear away.

Also tip starts to deform and close from pressing it into thing

Lowering it onto a FSR might be an idea [reprap.org], alot more sensitive, but still zeros wrongs with plastic buildup

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 07:30AM by Dust.
May 01, 2014 07:48AM
ok so we skip this ideacool smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login