Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New endstops

Posted by Rothestar 
New endstops
May 02, 2014 12:32PM
Hi there

I'm the owner of a reprap pro ormerod.

My question is: is it possible to replace the IR sensor with micro switches? I don't see the point in using an analog signal to determent a fixed position that should be a digital signal.
Bed leveling is not an issue, the lock nut and spring method I is the best and easiest way to do it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2014 01:12PM by Rothestar.
Re: New endstops
May 02, 2014 12:55PM
Rothestar
Hi there

I'm the owner of a reprap pro ormerod.

My question is: is it possible to replace the IR sensor with micro switches? I don't se the point in using an analog signal to determent a fixed position that should be a digital signal.
Bed leveling is not an issue, the lock nut and spring method I is the best and easiest way to do it..

Yes, you should be able to put it between GND and SIGNAL if your controller has those.
May 02, 2014 10:22PM
I cannot understand why these 3 and 4 wire endstops are shoved in the kits by the different suppliers. What is the point of them? Do they look nice? Is there a nice, bright LED on them lighting up like a Xmas tree? Reading through many, many posts, they appear to cause more heartache and problems than they're worth it seems. And in a number of cases, they blow the Arduino if they're not connected correctly. Yes, its the builders fault for getting it wrong but it is too easy to make a mistake for some makers because there is no key in the plug/socket to ensure it only goes on one way.

May 03, 2014 02:21PM
Switches bounce and must be debounced in firmware. Sometimes they operate from vibration, that's really tough to trouble shoot. Solid state sensors don't have those issues.
May 03, 2014 03:57PM
I always used cheap chines micho-switch, straightly wired to my printrboard, never had any troubles, and really cheap!
May 03, 2014 07:18PM
garyhlucas
Switches bounce and must be debounced in firmware. Sometimes they operate from vibration, that's really tough to trouble shoot. Solid state sensors don't have those issues.

Yes, but they're only used for homing, not printing. I have to say though, that I use reed switches which are totally unaffected by anything.

Click here to login