Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

!Attention! I figured out why peoples Arduino's go up in smoke!!!

Posted by gb805 
!Attention! I figured out why peoples Arduino's go up in smoke!!!
May 23, 2014 12:27PM
Anyone with a 12 volt power supply and having the problem with the Arduino going up in smokes……

Do not cut the D1 diode, like other people have been saying to do. Leave it.

The firmware I'm using is Marlin. It came loaded with setting that Repraps mendel and other printers need to adjust. The firmware comes preloaded with Ultimaker electronics board, which will cause your arduino to go up in smokes. Change the: (#define MOTHERBOARD 7) it must be changed to (#define MOTHERBOARD 33) change it to 33 for Ramps 1.4 or look what kind of electronics board you are using.

Also, In marlin firmware you have to change the (#define INVER) it will explain to leave it on true or false for the printer you have. Once those two things are complete, upload and print!

Hope this helps.
Re: !Attention! I figured out why peoples Arduino's go up in smoke!!!
May 23, 2014 07:57PM
Would you care to share your root cause analysis chart with the relevant details that led to your conclusions?????
May 23, 2014 09:07PM
Most people kill their Arduino by shorting +5 to GND normally via incorrectly wired endstops.

The motherboard type only defines which IO pins are attached to what devices. worst case this turns on the FETS by accident and things just dont work.
I do not believe this can kill a board.

But in saying that, you should always set the correct motherboard type, to do otherwise is foolish
May 24, 2014 04:03PM
incorrect wired endstops to my knowledge endstops well mechanical ones arent polarity dependant

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
May 24, 2014 04:53PM
chris33
incorrect wired endstops to my knowledge endstops well mechanical ones arent polarity dependant

A few popular electronics bundles are shipping with clones of the old Makerbot mechanical endstop boards, with a support URL screened on the board that's 404 when you go to it for wiring info. These endstop boards have added electronics and a status LED, and need to be wired for +5V, ground, and signal. Enough people have wired +5V and ground across the NO switch terminals and smoked their boards on first press of the switch that it is probably the most common cause of premature board failure on new builds.

I imagine that the same type of thing could happen with optical and hall effect endstops, but I personally don't keep track of those mishaps.

I'm still waiting to see the root cause analysis chart that the OP used to reach his conclusions about the cause of failures for all fried Arduinos being a software mis-config.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2014 04:55PM by vreihen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login