Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

x and y Axis scaling

Posted by ninjasmurf 
x and y Axis scaling
June 06, 2014 01:50AM
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone could give me some detailed advice/direction on how to scale the x and y axis in the firmware.
I found this ( [reprap.org] ) on the reprap wiki for instructions on how to do it but as I am a complete novice at this, these instructions make little to no sense.

Basically I and printing very clean straight prints however after measuring one of the prints I found it to be larger by 4%. First of all I thought this increase to be the same on all axis and therefore all I needed to do was just reduce the print size in slic3r. However after creating a print a few days ago where I needed the z axis to be exact I found it to be printing out 4% smaller than I needed.
This lead me to realise that the z axis was printing out to scale and that I cannot simply reduce the size of the print in slic3r but that what I really need to set the z and x axis at a reduced 4% scale in the firmware/coding somehow. I just don't seem to be able to find a tutorial anywhere that explains how to do this for people that have limited or no knowledge on programming.

I would be very greatfull for any help and tuition that anyone can give me in this matter.
Re: x and y Axis scaling
June 06, 2014 03:08AM
Try this if it would make more sense:

[reprap.org]

In marlin firmware the line requiring attentiion is

Line 329
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {78.7402,78.7402,200.0*8/3,760*1.1}

which defines how many steps are required per unit (your values may be way different compared to this example)

To simplify a lot, what ever the value is now for z axis, multiply that with 0.96 and try again. do not change other value same time...
Re: x and y Axis scaling
June 06, 2014 05:44AM
HI and thanks for the reply, it already makes alot more sense than any forum or wiki that I have read so far, unfortunately my board as just died so I am waiting to get a replacement sent out to me. No doubt that the scaling will all be completely different when the new board arrives. Will check back then and let you know how I have got on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login