Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Large scale repstrap

Posted by cnc dick 
Large scale repstrap
May 07, 2013 02:24PM
This is my large scale rep strap 17" x 14" x 14" build area very strong and reliable plus accurate
5.jpg" class="bbcode" border="0" /> This is a Yoda bust I printed on my machine and painted
son1/3d%20printer/IMG_78652_zps430c9120.jpg" class="bbcode" border="0" />

Reply Quote
Re: Large scale repstrap
May 07, 2013 05:32PM
Wow.. this looks like the Oerang Oetang of the repstraps...

Must be able to print in very high speeds without any problems?
May 07, 2013 06:41PM
The speed of the print varies for quality hardware shake is pretty much nonexistent depending on the quality you want you could only laydown plastic as fast as the quality you need normal prints from 50 mm a second 150 mm of second. I think the Yoda I printed was at 50 mm a second[www.facebook.com]
May 07, 2013 08:52PM
Wow, awesome! How are you heating that monster of a bed?are you using lead screws for x and y axis?
May 07, 2013 10:25PM
is that mach3 i see in the background?
May 08, 2013 06:32AM
Yes that is mach 3 bed is heated by 110 volt electric griddle with 1/4 aluminum plate on top under the bed this two sets of linear rails in a T formation to allow for expansion in both directions not bowing the bed
May 08, 2013 07:03AM
I'm using ballscrews on all axis some of the other things I came up with was water cooling and a fish tank air pump pumping cool air all the way through the filament tube because I plan for enclosure and the extrusion head is also mounted on a vertical linear rail and held in position vertically just by gravity in case of a crash head to beb adjustment is easy I use a stop bolt and locknut on top in the center of the extruder
May 08, 2013 08:12PM
this is fantastic.
is there anywhere i can see more about this project?
great job man!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2013 08:13PM by keithCl.
May 08, 2013 09:39PM
That machine is...absurd. In a good way.

It must be incredibly stiff. The layer alignment on that coin-op bottle opener is really, really good. Zero apparent z-wobble. Mechanically it's fantastic.

I see some Geckos and a BOB, what size are those steppers? Nice job staying away from standard reprap electronics - they couldn't drive those monsters anyway.

And what linear rail are you using on the axes?

Given the setup I bet you could mill Aluminum if you wanted to with this machine.

But what do you guesstimate the cost of the machine is? It must be great to have all the tools to make this on-hand, your shop looks awesome!

Keep us updated!

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
May 08, 2013 10:29PM
The linear rails at the THK the motors are Nema 34 for X and Y and Z is 900 inch ounce the extruder Neema 23 100 to 1 gearbox I would guess around $2000.00 because of parts had picked up over the years from eBay it is at work now I was there prototype engineer but I got laid off just went there today and dismantled it to bring it home here are some early pics of frame here is a couple of the pics of my other equipment I designed and built a three axis router which after dismantling get out of there in a little harbor freight lathe
May 08, 2013 11:22PM
Great stuff. Sorry to hear about getting laid off. I've been there - that sucks.

That is some pretty serious CNC equipment you've got there. I assume you built it all yourself? Really impressive.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
May 09, 2013 11:04AM
KeithCI there is a link to my Facebook page in the same thread a couple posts above yours
May 09, 2013 11:17AM
cool i can be a bit blind sometimes.

thank you
May 09, 2013 12:20PM
Any details on that "Harbor Freight" lathe?
May 09, 2013 01:40PM
The lathe 7 x 10 head bed and tailstock were in bad shape somebody evidently had redone a bad harbor freight so I got him on eBay for a $60 if I remember right I did some work on the bed took the twist out I re-machined the head anyway as I wanted a 5C headstock something I can get an inch through put large Timken bearings basically I wanted to use it for oddball OEM threads and tapers trying to do this on my old standard lathe was a dream I can threaded any oddball pitch I want now motors away oversized but I had some again good deal I had got a good deal on a small frequency drive allows me to run a small three-phase motor works great I think that was the most expensive part and I think that cost me $120 I think the motor I paid $29
May 09, 2013 01:51PM
Sorry my typing is atrocious I meant to say a pain using my old manual lathe and a dream now
June 09, 2014 10:16PM
awesome project. question for you whats your thought for multi head printing on something like this? would it need each to have its own upright?

im looking for 25x 8x 8 or so for build volume though 25x14x14 would be awesome to. Seeing a beauty like this is inspiring smiling smiley

I have also been wondering what type of electronics do you use to control that unit?
June 09, 2014 11:06PM
Mach 3 slic3r they have a setting for it and also in kisslicer also has a setting you need standalone temperature controllers and set the temps for the hot end and bed to zero in the slicer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 11:08PM by cnc dick.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login