Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recovering from wrong power connection on RAMPS 1.4

Posted by SirDuke13 
Recovering from wrong power connection on RAMPS 1.4
June 07, 2014 06:07AM
After successfully building 2 printers I managed to mess up on my 3rd Prusa i3. I connected the PSU on the RAMPS 1.4 the wrong way at first, the + in the - and vice versa.

I turned it on and nothing moved (as it should by the Marlin defaults) and after a few seconds I saw a bit of smoke and smelled. I realised what I did, reversed the black/red cables and tried again. The motors moved at first but then stopped and had the same smoke and smell come off the board. The second yellow fuse (the slightly smaller one on my RAMPS [www.reprapdiscount.com]#) was getting very very hot. I tried again and got the same issue.

Any ideas what would be burnt first with such mistake? A fuse, a diode or worse?

Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2014 06:07AM by SirDuke13.
Re: Recovering from wrong power connection on RAMPS 1.4
June 07, 2014 08:36AM
There is a reverse voltage protection diode D2

If that didn’t survive, then you could have partial short from +12v to GND threw it... this would cause F1 to get rather warm.

I would replace D2 (the one next to the fuse)
June 10, 2014 08:46AM
That's exactly what happened, I replaced the D2 diode with a new N4007 one (I could not find a N4004 which I think was the previous one) and it works great now.

Thank you!
June 11, 2014 08:26AM
To follow up, everything worked with the new diode, all axes move fine and the printer extrudes etc.

However, the extruder hot end will not stop heating up, so I guess that MOSFET was also damaged (the heated bed MOSFET works fine). I'll replace and see if that fixes it.
June 11, 2014 03:19PM
if the nozzle heater won't turn off then it's shorted. When those fail, they fail shorted (always on).
June 12, 2014 10:53AM
I'm having an issue with my heater bed doing the same thing. Replaced thermistor just cause I had one on hand and still as soon as printer is powered up heat bed is on and wont shut down. I've thoroughly checked for loose, broken or frayed wires and suspect the ramps board itself, not knowing much about how the polyfuses work. I assume theyre normally closed and open on over amperage? Any input appreciated, thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2014 10:54AM by cool2print.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login