Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps 1.4 Quad Extruder

Posted by ayouden 
Ramps 1.4 Quad Extruder
January 04, 2014 06:56AM
Hello,

I am looking at getting the E3D 'Kraken' Quad extruder for my printer.

I would have to upgrade my Sanguinololu board so something much better! I have found a nice deal on a Ramps 1.4 Board, but that can only handle 2 Extruders.

I am sure I have seen somewhere an Extruder Expansion board, but I cannot find it anywhere!

Does anyone know of one of these boards and if it is compatible with Ramps?

Thanks, ayouden

NFireLabs - The World First Modular 3D Printer - At An Affordable Price!
Re: Ramps 1.4 Quad Extruder
January 04, 2014 08:35AM
I have been working on an expansion board, still under development. There hasn't been much interest, so it hasn't been a priority.

RepRapPro also have an expansion board for their Duet controller, they seem to work in secret nowadays so I don't know much about it.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
January 04, 2014 11:11AM
Daum, thats a shame.

[www.reprappro.com]

How do they use 3 extruders on this model, what kind of electronics?

Thanks

NFireLabs - The World First Modular 3D Printer - At An Affordable Price!
January 04, 2014 12:14PM
They use a second Melzi board running as a slave, which wasn't too successful or cost effective I think.

Another mention is the Decapede, not sure what the state of that is though.

Another factor might which firmwares support 4 extruders, and what will they run on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 12:15PM by bobc.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
January 04, 2014 03:25PM
Well, by sounds of it a Quad extruder is a bit far fetched at the moment.

I am sure within 6-12months 4 extruders will be as easy to operate as dual extruders.

Thanks anyway
January 04, 2014 03:50PM
I'm actually building a quad extruder setup based off of the Printrboard with LoboCNCs closed loop stepper add on that was recently developed. The Printrboard with the daughter board runs 3 extruders and the fourth is ran off of the closed loop stepper add on. It's taken us a little while but we are getting closer to getting everything operational. We've been delayed primarily due to slow part orders and back order on some parts. I think that this is the best way to do it as the first 3 extruders are already operational. Just have to finish the 4th and decide mounting order. Soon we will be adding info to our page with the link located below.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 03:52PM by REPRAP SQUAD.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
January 05, 2014 03:06AM
im working on making an extruder that uses only two stepper and n outputs. one stepper will drive the filament the other will move the idlers into place and select the filament. it will be laser cuttable or 3d printable. i think this method is the best because it will work on any board that can use 5 steppers. it could even use a strong servo to move the idlers if you dont want to use a second stepper motor. if you want some details pm me im not quite finished yet but i should be done fairly soon.
January 07, 2014 08:16AM
@bobc the Duet expansion board source files are on github:

[github.com]

Its a collaboration between Think3DPrint3D, RepRapPro and others, not meant to be a secret, just did not document every step on the forum.

@ayouden

I am working with a Kraken right now and will blog about it once I have a chance!

[blog.think3dprint3d.com]
January 07, 2014 05:37PM
I heard the e3d people were working on a cam system, such that all 4 hot ends are controlled by a drive motor and a select motor. Then even a RAMPS1.4 will be able to control all 4 nozzles.
Here's a kickstarter project with something like that: [www.kickstarter.com]
June 22, 2014 06:09PM
Hey Aduy, do you have any new updates on your quad extruder design? I also think a drive / selector combo would be the best way forward to save weight and complexity in electronics.

I've found the Coherent extruder which looks great, my suggestion was to also switch the connections of the thermistor and heater mechanically at the same time with the filament selection. So you completely switch between different hot ends with the select motor.
June 24, 2014 10:17PM
I purchased a couple of stepper driver carrier expansion boards from RepRapWorld for the purpose of expanding the number of E axis available for developing Duo and Trifecta Flex3Drives

Its a small board that supports a stepper driver, requires power and enable pin. My thinking was to configure additional pins as Stepper Enables and go from there. Ive had a look about and havent found anything that prevents this from being a workable solution within a reasonable budget but will oof course be a bit of a hack as opposed to bespoke intended solution

Hope this helps, or if anyone knows why this wouldnt work, do please advise

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 10:18PM by Mutley3D.
June 24, 2014 11:41PM
Doesnt one of the Azteeg boards have 8 driver slots?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2014 12:19AM by sungod3k.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login