Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Material for 3d printer structure.

Posted by caleb12134 
Material for 3d printer structure.
July 11, 2014 10:23PM
Hi, I am very unsatisfied with current commercial/consumer 3d printers and decided to design one. I was curious as to what the cobblebot 3d printer, and the taz 4 3d printer bodies are made out of (what are those metal bars called and is there a place online to get them cheap in usa?). Secondly, would you say linear v rail makerslide systems with the wheel system is smoother movement, better quality print, and more cost affective than smooth rods? And is the material that taz 4 and cobblebot are made out of all makerslide? or a combo of both? or neither? Also any other design advice from experienced or knowledgable reprappers/engineers on creating a sturdy structure, cost effective, and, good quality? lastly would you say I should just I will release my designs as open source, share a like once I have them finished, as a reprap printer! Thank you so much for your time!! smiling smiley

UPDATE: is there a custom heated bed manufacturer? I need a 20x20x20 heated bed? Also what is the best software to design this printer in? I have paper drawings but want to make it 3d drawing in a cad program? Any recommendations for easy to use, effective cad programs besides sketchup and autodesk?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2014 01:04AM by caleb12134.
Re: Material for 3d printer structure.
July 12, 2014 02:36AM
those metal bars are called "aluminium profile" in switzerland we called the "item profile" cause "item" is a famous brand of that aluminium profile here. It's used a lot in automation industry.
I don't know any usa reseller, but i am sure you will find them easy in the us.
Also I am building another 3d printer wich use alu profile, it's looking great for now smiling smiley
Re: Material for 3d printer structure.
July 12, 2014 09:47AM
The extrusions are called T-slot, and are available in the USA from Misumi, 8020, Bosch/Rexroth, and a few other manufacturers. Misumi will sell it to you pre-cut to your exact specifications for a fair price, and was even giving away a free $150 worth of materials to RepRappers in a promotion that ended a few months ago.

You should look at V-slot instead, since it has custom wheels that ride inside the slots and was designed for combined linear motion and frame applications.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login