Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First time project

Posted by Thirkell 
First time project
August 11, 2014 05:52AM
I plan to build an 3D printer for my own use. Buying a commercial one is too expensive and building it will be half the fun, this seems to be best place for me then.
Could someone please advise me on what model etc. I should build? I will admit I do not know much about 3D printers expect what I have learnt here and on the rest of the internet.
My biggest problem is that I live in a country where 3D printing is a rare and specialized thing with hardly any vendors and non existent technical support, South Africa.
My printer will have to be made completely from parts sourced from local suppliers and knowledge gained from you guys.
Also I have access to a printer to print what ABS parts I need.

Advice on how, where and on what to start would be greatly appreciated. I am also struggling to find a detailed BOM, if one exists, of any of the RepRap printers so that I can gauge how possible this project is and how much it will cost.
Absolutely any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Re: First time project
August 12, 2014 05:26AM
Building for fun, only few vendors? Look up "WolfStrap", "Mantis" and "RepStrap" in the wiki. Quite a number of models exist which need no printed parts at all. They're often the cheapest, too.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login