Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

cleaning filaments with water

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
cleaning filaments with water
August 27, 2014 06:45AM
is it ok to wash filaments with water and it out from the spools? i bought some filaments on ebay and they were all dusty. any suggestions?
Re: cleaning filaments with water
August 27, 2014 07:01AM
Some materials take on water more than others, nylon and most flexible filaments for example. Those need to be dried in an oven for acouple of hours after such a bath. PLA and ABS shouldnt be much of a problem though

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
August 27, 2014 08:36AM
Srek
PLA and ABS shouldnt be much of a problem though
I believe PLA can have many problems without a proper drying. We can see in many places some advices about the storage of PLA filament, telling people to avoid humid storage places, because the PLA can mold. With that consideration, I suggest to make a very neat drying of your filament if you wash it, whatever it is.
August 27, 2014 10:05AM
FWIW I have never had problems with moisture absorption in my PLA. I keep the spool open to the air all the time.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
August 27, 2014 10:44AM
Maybe compressed air or rinsing with 100% alcohol?
August 27, 2014 05:20PM
PLA absorbs less water moisture than ABS, which absorbs less than Nylon.

In my experience you can leave PLA exposed to air without issues. Leaving ABS out for weeks may cause hissing, steam, and bubbles, but it's usually printable. Leaving nylon out for any length of time is a recipe for disaster.

I would not recommend cleaning any filament with water. Construct a filament wiper out of a small piece of paper towel and clothes pin, or use compressed air to blow the dirt off.
Anonymous User
August 27, 2014 06:39PM
Just try to dust them with a dry cloth. That should get the job done for the most part. Water should only be a last resort type of thing.
August 28, 2014 06:56AM
Just leave it dusty and push it threw a wiper while printing it.

Or as already suggested, use compressed air to blow it clean.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login