Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Powering extra fans

Posted by UkIan 
Powering extra fans
August 30, 2014 03:57AM
I want to add a few additional always on fans. I currently have one connected to D2 (the two pin output just below the 12v in). Can I safely connect a couple more fans to this in parallel without adverse affects?

Thanks
Re: Powering extra fans
August 30, 2014 06:12AM
What is your driving board? Ramps 1.4?
August 30, 2014 06:22AM
Sorry, should of said, yes Ramps 1.4.
August 30, 2014 02:41PM
you mean the fan port near the d2 diode connection?

in the diagram [reprap.org] the fan connector this traces gnd and 12 volt line directly. I would only worry about trace thickness as to how much power runs thru those traces.

you can assume 0.00137 inch thick copper board thickness or 0.034798mm thickness

[circuitcalculator.com]

and calculate current flow.

to push 1 amp the trace width of the fan line would need to be 0.302mm wide , to push 2amps trace thickness would need to be 0.786mm wide . measure the trace width. you now know ho much current the traced line can provide, just look at your fan current requirements and add them up.

as another thought/
also since this fan line goes direct to power, why not just plug the fan in at the power lead? then you can push the maximum current for the fans

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2014 02:44PM by jamesdanielv.
August 31, 2014 11:21AM
Perfect thank you. I hadn't considered just wiring them to the input actually. I have a fan on that pin out already, so hadn't thought much beyond there. the fans are 0.16amp, but I can't see the width of the track without pulling the board off which I can't do right now.

Thanks for the great answer though, I learned something useful.

Cheers
Ian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login