Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Installing my z axis upgrades

Installing my z axis upgrades
November 04, 2014 06:36PM
Alright, so those of you who followed my last post, I recently ordered a Tr8*8 acme Leadscrew, flexible couplings and Anti-backlash nut and they finally came it. I have a prusa i3x printer which came with horrible 5mm lead screws which cause serious banding. The thing I noticed when I got the stuff and I knew this before I ordered it, that the nuts are very wide and will not fit due to the smooth z rods. My plan is to reprint the c carriage parts, as well as the z motor mounts with the z smooth rof constraints im order to fit the thicker part. Im curius if anyone else has performed similar upgraded and did a similar solution to get the parts to fit. I have seen some forums where the top of the z screws should be restricted and some that should not. I picked up some 8mm bearings just in cases should I use them to constrain my threaded rods. Would
This be beneficial or would it be more damaging to the print quality? If anyone here has gone through similar situations and care to explain things that worked well for them and things that didn't tbat would be awesome!
Re: Installing my z axis upgrades
November 05, 2014 06:59PM
Constraining the tops of the threaded rods is generally frowned upon as it's exascerbates banding. Using a flexible coupler combined with a free end allows the screw to move freely if bent, without putting force on the smooth rods. Constraining the free end causes force to be applied to the smooth rods if the threaded rod is bent, as the smooth rod rotates, causing banding. There's a good article in issue 1 of the reprap magazine on Z banding that explains it better.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login