Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slicer with interactive slicing ?

Posted by Walther 
Slicer with interactive slicing ?
November 28, 2014 03:59AM
Hi,

I have tried Slic3r, Cura and Kissslicer, but they all give me very little control over the actual slicing and support.

Is there a slicer that allows me to interactively tell the slicer where to put support, and not to put it ?

And perhaps also to slice a region differently ?

Either free or commercial (not too expensive)

Love all the free software and greatly appreciate the many hours put in it !
Re: Slicer with interactive slicing ?
November 28, 2014 04:27AM
Hello Walther,

I have heard that the up plus 3d printing software has automatic support block though you need to find a way to get it to work with reprap....

Thanks,
Beeep22
November 28, 2014 06:15AM
I have heard that with MeshMixer you should be able to add support manually, this is done before the slicing step. Meshmixer can read STL files.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
November 28, 2014 07:08PM
Simplify 3d allows manual placement and removal of support and also different settings for different parts of a model.

The support placement tutorial I linked to isn't that great, but it does discuss the options. The second link to different regions having different settings is much better.

It's not free, but costs about £100. My overal rating so far about 8 out of 10. There are a few bugs, although none that I've found that are serious. The biggest issue I had was when it decided it wasn't licensed any more on a Saturday morning. Of course, being the weekend I couldn't get meaningful support until the Monday. And then magically it just started working again, so I've guessing their licensing server had issues or something similar. I'll deduct 6 marks from the 8 I've given it if it happens again. There is absolutely no excuse for that sort of thing.

Other than that though, really impressed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login