Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprapdiscount LCD

Posted by Capinho 
Reprapdiscount LCD
February 04, 2015 10:28AM
Hello everyone. Today I have installed Reprapdiscount LCD controller. I did the changes in Marlin software and it works. However, when i disconnect USB cable from my PC, LCD is lit up, but shows nothing and flickers a little. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Re: Reprapdiscount LCD
February 04, 2015 11:11AM
Could it be that your HW is setup to use power from the USB?

RAMPS V1.4 article in RepRap wiki
Power Supply
Where to find the D1 diode (note that D2 is shown at the left, not D1)

RAMPS is quite happy with the 12 V line from PCPowerSupply. Or you can hack up a 12V laptop power supply, or other 12 V "wall wart" power supply. Be sure that the power can output 5A or greater. Additional 11A may be needed for heated bed support.

See Connecting power above.

The 3 pins next to the reset switch are meant to optionally connect to your PSU.

The PS_ON pin is intended to switch your power supply on and off. Many firmwares support pulling this pin low with M80 command to turn the power supply on, and M81 to turn it off. This behavior is desired for ATX power supplies and can be modified in firmware to support 5V high power supplies like those borrowed from an Xbox.

Without D1 installed, or when the 12VIN is not connected, the Arduino gets its power from USB. If you want your kit powered without USB connected you need to solder in D1 OR connect VCC to your PSU.

The VCC pin can be connected to your ATX's 5Vsb to continuously power the Arduino from your ATX power supply. You will want to make sure that D1 is not installed or cut out. The Arduino is not designed to be powered directly on the VCC rail and the VIN pin at the same time.

If you want to use PS_ON to turn on your power supply then don't use diode D1, you need your Arduino to be powered from 5Vsb otherwise when no USB is connected the PS_ON pin floats (and your power supply pulses on and off).

The 5V pin in that connector on RAMPS only supplies the 5V to the auxiliary servo connectors. It is designed so that you can jumper it to the VCC pin and use the Arduino's power supply to supply 5V for extra servos if you are only powered from USB or 5V. Since there is not a lot of extra power from the Arduino's power supply you can connect it directly to your 5V power supply if you have one. You can also leave this pin not connected if you have no plan to add extra servos.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 04, 2015 12:02PM
Thanks for quick reply. I understood the issue. thanks again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 12:32PM by Capinho.
February 08, 2015 08:55AM
Can you be more speciffic what did you did for fixing this issue

What changes you did?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2015 08:56AM by tatubias.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login