Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sprinter to Marlin on Melzi - Is it worth it?

Posted by stuuk 
Sprinter to Marlin on Melzi - Is it worth it?
February 08, 2015 10:58AM
Quick summary
I built a Prusa i3 from a kit which i believe is chinese based but havent found the exact kit elsewhere other than the one I bought on eBay
[www.ebay.co.uk]

The printer is working fine after a few hickups and the seller has been very good with support and replacing some parts.

The printer uses a Melzi controller running a version of Sprinter which was preloaded for my hardware.
I have a copy of the original firmware from the supplier. They also sent me the Arduino 023 IDE with the sanguino folder and the sprinter firmware appears to compile correctly.
However, I havent tried uploading this as haven't had a need to.

(As a quick side note I tried compiling the same Sprinter firmware in the Arduino 0023 IDE that i downloaded from Arduino but it always had compile errors - for some reason the 0023 version the seller sent me works. Is this because it contained the correct sanguino folder?)

At the time I bought the printer I also acquired the Panelolu2 with Melzi adapter thinking at the time this would be a good addition to the printer.
However, it seems I will need Marlin to get the LCD to work and I'm beginning to wonder whether its worth doing as the printer is working pretty good at the moment.

As I understand it I would have to edit the Marlin config.h so the values are the same as the sprinter config.h
Then add the code for the Panelolu2.
I also understand the thermistor settings are different as sprinter has its own temp look up tables.

My main question is are there other advantages to running Marlin over Sprinter other than the lcd support?
I have heard people say print quality improved when they converted but haven't seen any reasons why.

Another quick question does sprinter support eeprom settings as they appear to be turned off at the moment.
Thanks
Stu
Re: Sprinter to Marlin on Melzi - Is it worth it?
February 08, 2015 01:53PM
According to the wiki: [reprap.org]

The two identified changes from Sprinter that I'd consider to have the greatest likelihood of improving print quality would be the look-ahead and the ability to parse and print arcs as arcs...And it indicates EEPROM is also new on Marlin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login