Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1.75 ABS filament not lasting long until it goes bad

Posted by lunarkingdom 
1.75 ABS filament not lasting long until it goes bad
March 25, 2015 06:06PM
Hey guys, I have been having printing problems lately but to be honest they have been 50% due to my ABS filament going bad, within 30-50 days from opening it the filament gets brittle and has failure to extrude part way through any print, most times it is chewed up by the extruder. I have added a fan on my E3D abd that makes it work really good with brand new filament but not with the older stuff. It seems universal as I have 4 or 5 different kinds from different manufacturers and they all act the same, break open a new package and my problem goes away. It was worse before I upgraded to a bulldog xl and 4 different versions of the E3d hot end but it still comes down to the same thing. I feel like I have to print as much as I can once breaking the seal or in 30 days I will have a useless half roll of filament. Anyone else have this problem? I store mine on a shelf in my printing cabinet above my printer. I print 3 times a week or so for average of 6 hours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 06:07PM by lunarkingdom.
Re: 1.75 ABS filament not lasting long until it goes bad
March 26, 2015 01:00AM
I have ABS and PLA from 6 months ago and they are still in perfect conditions. Now if not in use, I seal them back with it's desiccant and box, I put them in a plastic container and that goes in a closet with a dehumidifier constantly on.
March 26, 2015 05:25AM
Just recently i used up an old spool of 1.75mm ABS that was lying around for 2 years. No problem at all.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
March 26, 2015 09:35AM
I had 1/4 of a roll of chinese filament from last august. I just finished it a few days back as I was calibrating my printer. It sat open since I opened it. I can say that while it is more brittle, it had no problems with clogging. I suspect your retraction settings may be to blame. I run 3.5mm retract @ 200mm/s on my bowden fed delta. No issues feeding it. I ran up to 4.5mm of retract on it before and with the heat break being actively cooled it did stick to the rough sides of my heat break. I resolved that issue by taking steel wool strands and wrapping them around the flutes of a 1.8mm drill bit which polished my heat break up nicely. Make sure you have no gaps between the fittings and the hot end. I hand milled an aluminum spacer for my setup as the heat was crawling up the hot end and softening the filament. Also I am not sure how far the feed hole on the extruder you have is, but for me its about .2-.3mm away. I have seen extruders trying to push filament 3-4mm with no support. This leads to jams.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
March 27, 2015 10:18PM
I have PLA from well over a year ago, no problems at all. I keep it in a very large box using Dri-Z-Air:
[www.amazon.com]

Much cheaper than using desiccant packs and work VERY well. The humidity in my storage is usually around 25%.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login