Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heated bed??

Posted by fatesalign 
Heated bed??
April 20, 2015 12:04AM
Hello everyone. I've been so unbelievably grateful for all of your help. If I am asking too much, I honestly am sorry. I keep thinking this or that is all I'm going to need, but then I learn something else, and I have another question. So I finally ordered this perusa i3: [www.3dprintersonlinestore.com] and I've learned a little more about heated beds. Apparently some materials might need more than the 110 degrees Celsius the bed that comes with mine has. I was wondering two things:

1. Is the board good enough to upgrade the bed to a hotter one if I needed?

2. And is it possible to add a second hot end later if I want? I know it's extremely inexpensive, so they probably went really cheap on those parts, so I might need to upgrade if I ever want to do that, but I was curious if anyone was familiar with the board on it.

it says under electronics that it's this: MKS Base 1.2v
Re: Heated bed??
April 20, 2015 08:57AM
fatesalign
Apparently some materials might need more than the 110 degrees Celsius the bed that comes with mine has.
What material? Some types of ABS may like a little more than 110, but I can't find any common material that needs significantly more than that.

If by board you mean electronics, I wouldn't count on it powering much more powerful of a board directly. An external relay would overcome that limitation if it's an actual issue later on. Most electronics are going to be similar so it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

2. And is it possible to add a second hot end later if I want? I know it's extremely inexpensive, so they probably went really cheap on those parts, so I might need to upgrade if I ever want to do that, but I was curious if anyone was familiar with the board on it.
It does look like it supports a 2nd extruder from an electronics standpoint. You'd need to use a x-carriage that supports 2 extruders, hot ends, etc.
April 20, 2015 09:47AM
cdru
fatesalign
Apparently some materials might need more than the 110 degrees Celsius the bed that comes with mine has.
What material? Some types of ABS may like a little more than 110, but I can't find any common material that needs significantly more than that.

If by board you mean electronics, I wouldn't count on it powering much more powerful of a board directly. An external relay would overcome that limitation if it's an actual issue later on. Most electronics are going to be similar so it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

It does look like it supports a 2nd extruder from an electronics standpoint. You'd need to use a x-carriage that supports 2 extruders, hot ends, etc.

I really appreciate the reply. I'm more looking at different materials like nylon. I probably won't need it though. I'm really glad it accepts 2 extruders. Thank you!
April 20, 2015 09:59AM
I don't want to stop the learning process but... You've already ordered the kit... Start by using the parts that it comes with. Get the machine setup and printing properly. Learn the in's and outs of using the printer, and keeping it running. The other filaments aren't going anywhere, and prices will be cheaper, and new technology may have been developed by the time your ready to upgrade.

Happy Printing!
April 20, 2015 10:09AM
fatesalign
I'm more looking at different materials like nylon.
Nylon requires high hot end temperatures, not high heated bed temps. Look a Taulman's recommended settings for their various types of nylon. I can't find any place that recommends high temperatures for nylon. Most have recommendations at or lower what's usually recommended for PLA at 60 degrees C.
April 20, 2015 10:11AM
cdru
fatesalign
Nylon requires high hot end temperatures, not high heated bed temps. Look a Taulman's recommended settings for their various types of nylon. I can't find any place that recommends high temperatures for nylon. Most have recommendations at or lower what's usually recommended for PLA at 60 degrees C.
I know nylon recommends 75 degree temp, I was just giving an example. I can't remember the filament that needs higher temps.
April 20, 2015 10:13AM
cdru
fatesalign
I appreciate it. I've owned and built a 3d printer before, so I understand them pretty well. I was just hoping I didn't bite myself too much by getting a really cheap kit. And don't get me wrong. I'll definitely just use what it comes with for a while. Thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login