Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sand blasters/rock tumblers

Posted by fatesalign 
Sand blasters/rock tumblers
May 09, 2015 03:27PM
Hello everyone. I've been wanting to find a way to make my prints look really smooth, and I've somewhat hit a snag. I want to be able to polish the colorfabb metal filament, which I know is usually done by rock tumblers, but I also want to be able to smooth out regular prints, which it seems a sand blaster is best for. My question is whether a rock tumbler will be able to smooth prints or if a sand blaster will be able to polish prints? I doubt sand would work, but some other medium probably will. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!
Re: Sand blasters/rock tumblers
May 10, 2015 07:49AM
Can't answer that but on a Facebook post, for the ironman helmet the used sandpaper, polish and a lot of elbow grease to get it smooth.
May 10, 2015 02:03PM
Sand blasters are too powerful and too abrasive for printed parts. A tumbler is the preferred method to smooth printed parts.
May 10, 2015 05:48PM
Sand blasting tends to melt plastics. Would probably just make a mess of the surface. I have used a vibratory tumbler on some ABS and it did help the looks though it takes a very long time (24 to 72 hours) and for ABS cold acetone vapor smoothing is quicker and does a much better job.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login