Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A simple Timelapse/NAS Python project with RPi for my 3D printer. Need some help.

Posted by Spudwheelie 
Hello,
I am attemping to learn python using my raspberry pi. I initially bought it to use octoprint. After realizing that I liked printing from SD cards rather than using octoprint, but really likeing the timelapse videos. I came up with a simple project idea to help me understand python, gcode, and serial communication.

I want the Raspberry Pi to be powered almost all off the time. ( It also serves as my NAS server connected to a 1.5 TB hardrive). Basically I want it to continually listen to the serial communication from my 3D printer. And If my printer is printing (from an SD card), take pictures every 20 seconds and save them to the NAS (Network attached storage) in a folder named after the gcode file, Every print job has its own folder. So all my print jobs are automatically documented with pictures taken every 20 seconds. Then If I want to turn the pictures into timelapse video, I will open up the folder on the NAS from my laptop and render them into video using Blender. Since it would take forever for the Pi to do this with HD video.

I am looking into scripting with pronsole printcore and pronterface. And reading every bit I can about RPis/python/linux. To grasp a solid understanding.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appeciated, I will keep you posted as I figure this out.

Thanks,
Kyle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2015 11:39AM by Spudwheelie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login