Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Point clouds and scan data into parametric models?

Posted by sungod3k 
Point clouds and scan data into parametric models?
June 11, 2015 04:14PM
Hi,

Im getting a bit into mass customization and parametric models. Beside openscad I found [www.digitalforming.com] which is an interesting approach of taking existing model and adding controllable modifiers.

What I haven't found is a platform where I can use 3d scan data and build an automated script around it.
For example a custom knee protector or grip that needs to fit a certain body part. I can import the mesh and then have a template of the rest of the model eg a casing, a certain solidification and wall thickness fit around it. It would need to recognize the shape and orientation of the scan and adjust the size and other options based on predetermined parameters.

TLDR: Basically building a shoe around the scan of you foot.

Of course some in between steps could also be interesting eg when you get the scan an manually add a maker and then have the program use these marker as references like rigging a model for animation.
Another useful application is the addition of standard part likes screw and nut holes, hinges and other standard model part into existing meshes without having to manually add and connect them,

Here and there I see projects that use similar approaches for example to make cast or prosthesis but I haven't found a dedicated software for this.

Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2015 09:23PM by sungod3k.
Re: Point clouds and scan data into parametric models?
June 12, 2015 10:50AM
Autodesk Alias, Maya, maybe 3ds, Rhino. but probably the best if you can afford it Catia.

But to start download a trial version of Alias.

On the free side, you can experiment with Autodesk Meshmixer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2015 10:53AM by ggherbaz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login