Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chain and sprockets VS. belt and pulleys?

Posted by jessicabrenner 
Chain and sprockets VS. belt and pulleys?
July 03, 2015 06:02PM
I've never seen a printer with chains and sprockets. They mostly use belts and pulleys. Is this a cost thing, or do chains have any performance issues like wear or backlash?
Re: Chain and sprockets VS. belt and pulleys?
July 03, 2015 06:46PM
Chains are noisy and heavy. Chains are also stiffer than belts, which would seem like a good thing, but steppers really like to have a little compliance in the drive train to damp out vibrations. The problem with vibration is that it can actually reduce the amount of torque you can get out of your stepper motor.
July 03, 2015 09:20PM
Take a look at synchromesh cables and plastic sprockets. Lightweight and relative inexpensive. Great tension strength and the ability to change directional routing without consequence. I'm using them on my current build and I've designed them into my upcoming Scara arm project.
July 03, 2015 09:57PM
I googled synchromesh, found a gearbox. sdp-si.com
A video on youtube of a pcb plotter using fishing line, directly on the shaft of some nema's. I may have to try that sometime, instead add a rubber lined pulley for grip
July 04, 2015 01:46AM
Synchromesh cables

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 01:47AM by o_lampe.
July 04, 2015 11:54AM
Back in 2008 or so Vik Olliver got a reprap working with beaded ball chain (the stuff that goes on light switch pull chains). Link here: beaded belt drive success.
July 04, 2015 01:10PM
SDP-SI carries synchromesh cables and pulleys in various pitch and pulley tooth count. I had 3DHubs print custom 15 tooth pulleys for my current project using this Thingiverse file synchromesh pulley but the pitch diameter didn't fit the cable when it arrived. The quality of the prints were also poor. I downloaded the CAD from from SDP-SI and created my own custom .stl file (different hub lengths and bore dia.) and had them printed on a Stratasys machine and they worked perfectly. For durability sake however I've decided to go with the SDP-SI pulleys (15 tooth/5 mm I.D. bore) and have custom adapters machined for the different stepper motor shaft sizes I'm using 6.35 mm and 8 mm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login