Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Direct to Bowden

Posted by tim3716 
Direct to Bowden
July 05, 2015 07:07PM
I am converting to bowden very soon and I was wondering what setting changes are needed other than the hardware.
Re: Direct to Bowden
July 05, 2015 09:22PM
Be prepared but several hours of frustation due to oozing.
The main reason people abandone bowden systems is to avoid these spills of filament or so they can use flexible filaments.
You have to work out how much retraction you need to stop the nozzle oozing.
I did the initial measurement this way:
Extrude a bit of filament and mark it where it enters the extruder.
Release the tension on the filament by disengaging the extruder.
The filament will spring back a bit, in my case around 9mm - this is the initial retraction you need to prevent the nozzle loosing plastic.
From there you can adjust up and down a bit until satisfied.
For obvious reasons the time between extruding and disengaging the extruder should be as short as possible.
And always check the hobbed bolt (or whatever drives your filament) before long prints so there is no plastic stuck in it that might cause the filament to slip.
July 11, 2015 01:21AM
So you set your retraction to 9mm? Isn't that I little high?
July 11, 2015 03:53AM
I did this a little while ago and my retract setting is between 2 and 3.5mm (depending on material and speed of printing - 1.75mm filament) with a speed of between 45 and 60mm/s.

This works well for me - I find I can even push semi-flexible material through it without problems (getting that semi flexible material to stick to itself and/or the bed is a whole different issue, however!) [forums.reprap.org]

HTH

Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login