Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repetier-Host or MatterControl ?

Posted by Nikki81 
Repetier-Host or MatterControl ?
July 24, 2015 08:01AM
what is the best between Repetier-Host and MatterControl Ive been having problems with Repetier-Host dropping the connection 1/2 way threw a print (v1.53)

thanks Nikki
Re: Repetier-Host or MatterControl ?
July 24, 2015 10:48AM
FDM printing is an inherently unreliable process. Congratulations! You have discovered that using host software running on a computer makes it even more unreliable.

Now you have a choice- look for software that is less unreliable, or ditch the computer and print from SD cards.

Why do you need host software?
July 24, 2015 02:52PM
I had that happen a few times a while back, think it was a problem with my USB hardware rather than the software. My work around was just to print from the SD card for a while. Fortunately it has since started working reliably again.

As for Repetier-Host vs Matter Control, I think it all comes down to personal preference. If it is a hardware issue like I encountered, they will both fail. Otherwise, Repetier-Host is intended as a stand alone host software for your printer that is capable of using third party slicers, Slic3D by default, though it also comes with the previous stable version of Cura (latest release seems to be wonky for third parties).

I believe Matter Control on the other hand is based on an older fork of Cura with a lot of improvements to the software. Its meant to act as host, slicing, and a library software package for tracking your models and such. They have also been working on a tablet version of the software that will also control your printer through OTG USB. Never tried the software myself, and the tablet is limited to a limited set of models due to power requirements.
July 24, 2015 05:58PM
Nikki81
what is the best between Repetier-Host and MatterControl Ive been having problems with Repetier-Host dropping the connection 1/2 way threw a print (v1.53)

thanks Nikki

Best option is not to rely on a PC host program at all. I use Duet electronics, which has a built-in SD card socket and supports a good web interface. The web interface lets you upload files to the SD card. It also has an "Upload & Print" button. So once you have kicked off the print, it's completely autonomous and you can disconnect the PC - and monitor the progress using a tablet or smartphone if you want.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 27, 2015 07:24AM
Try a different cable. I had a tonne of problems with one particular usb cable, swapped to another one and voila! fixededed
July 27, 2015 12:01PM
I'm out of my league here... but it would be nice if the host program would start heating the printbed, and if a SD card is detected upload the part to the SD card, and then start the print from the SD card. That way while your waiting for the heatbed to reach temp it's uploading the part.
July 27, 2015 01:15PM
madmike8
I'm out of my league here... but it would be nice if the host program would start heating the printbed, and if a SD card is detected upload the part to the SD card, and then start the print from the SD card. That way while your waiting for the heatbed to reach temp it's uploading the part.

Not sure that is a reasonable request as the host software wouldn't necessarily know when you would want to start printing. You might just be transferring sliced files to your SD card for storage and/or future disconnected printing.

However I would assume most host machines do give you the option to start warming up your bed manually whenever you want. So you could just flip your bed on after connecting to the printer, slice and transfer your files, and start the print which would then finish heating your bed.
July 27, 2015 01:16PM
madmike8

I use the Duet web interface to control my printers, but I do something similar. I command the bed to operating temperature, then immediately use the "Upload & print" button, which uploads the file to SD card and starts printing it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

July 27, 2015 01:25PM
My thinking... You choose print. If the host detects SD card present, then it searches the beginning gcode of the file for the bed temp, sets the temp, and then proceeds to upload the file and then begin the print. If upload fails, it turns off the bed and reports error. If no SD card. it proceeds normally.
July 27, 2015 01:37PM
madmike8
My thinking... You choose print. If the host detects SD card present, then it searches the beginning gcode of the file for the bed temp, sets the temp, and then proceeds to upload the file and then begin the print. If upload fails, it turns off the bed and reports error. If no SD card. it proceeds normally.

That's a nice idea! I'll suggest it to the person who maintains the web interface for the Duet, or maybe even implement it myself.

July 27, 2015 04:26PM
MatterControl offers the use of CuraEngine, Slic3r, or MatterSlice slicers within its interface and will host with SMS or email notifications as well as saving to SD for disconnected printing while also allowing EEPROM settings access on many printers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login