Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replacing prusa i3

Posted by Govahnator 
Replacing prusa i3
July 08, 2015 01:01PM
Hi guys,

I am thinking of replacing my prusa i3,

It worked very well when i first assembled it , but not for long, now a year later i am still spending money on it and i cant seem to get it to print like when it was new.
So i am really fed up and not pleased with this printer at all.

What printer would you recommend me? for about 1000 euro
I was thinking of a mendelmax 3.0 , but it is 1500 dollars and is located in the US.

at reprapworld.com they sell a mendelmax 1.5 for about 650 euro's, would this be a good choice? is there much quality difference of parts 1.5 vs 3?
Re: Replacing prusa i3
July 08, 2015 08:02PM
Avoid the MM3. Having built 3 of them and now maintaining the open builds V wheels are a constant battle on the Y axis. They don't last more than a month and constant adjustment on the cam nuts to get it just right.

The frame flexes on an uneven table so its impossible to level the bed. The Z stepper plates are too thin and flex. I have basically replaced the front, rear, side, x motor, y motor, and z motor plates with laser cut stainless plates 2mm thick. I am also replacing the V wheels with hiwin 12mm linear bearing slides.
July 09, 2015 12:25AM
MM 1.5 is an attractive printer.

Im building a corexy machine with 40cm extrusion, so the bed will be at least 350 x 300 mm

Seemed like a decent upgrade from the prusa i3 rework variant that i have.
July 09, 2015 09:00AM
Govahnator
It worked very well when i first assembled it , but not for long, now a year later i am still spending money on it and i cant seem to get it to print like when it was new.
So i am really fed up and not pleased with this printer at all.

If you buy the same design/construction mistakes/compromises, you will likely end up with the same set of problems. I suggest that you make a list of the specific things that are wrong with the way your current printer works, then a list of what you think will make it better so you know what to look for in a new printer.

This is a bit of a read, but may give you some ideas about why your current printer is problematic and what to look for and what to avoid.
September 10, 2015 05:59PM
I have ordered a mendelmax 1.5 fellows,

I have Nema 17's with integrated leadscrew's hanging around wich i will immediately us for the build.

I am looking forward to building it winking smiley

Grtzz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login