Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Geared stepper for extruder

Posted by Capinho 
Geared stepper for extruder
September 28, 2015 08:43AM
Hello everyone,

I need to buy geared nema17 stepper to have stronger extruder, because my stock one is too weak to feed the filament through bowden tube.
I have almost purchased this stepper, but i saw the note, saying : Please note, this planetary gearbox is not high precision gearbox, the backlash we can promised is <=1 degree.

[www.ebay.co.uk]

Is this stepper precise enough for using it as extruder motor, or should i find more precise one? Maybe anyone can recommend a decent one, so the shipping to Europe won't take months, like it does when buying form China.

Thanks
Re: Geared stepper for extruder
September 28, 2015 12:07PM
A small amount of backlash in the extruder drive shouldn't matter, it just means you may need up to 0.1mm more retraction in your slicer settings to allow for it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 28, 2015 12:15PM
dc42
A small amount of backlash in the extruder drive shouldn't matter, it just means you may need up to 0.1mm more retraction in your slicer settings to allow for it.
Does that mean, that I need 0.1mm more retraction while pulling up the filament and extra 0.1mm while releasing it?
September 28, 2015 05:16PM
you need to experiment with the number for retraction, as the .1mm is a guess.
With bowden setups, there could be a much longer retraction to account for the filament being compressed (bunched up with the tube).
Slicer programs use different names for this retraction and replacement.
Kisslicer uses prime and suck, so you can tweak it until you are happy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login