Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Platform Tape Sheets + Glass

Posted by Anonymouse 
Platform Tape Sheets + Glass
October 02, 2015 02:37AM
Hi folks.

My Wanhao Duplicator i3 just arrived with no "Platform Tape Sheets" in the box (listed in the paperwork as should-have-been) and there is no glass plate (not promised).

I'm on hold at the moment as I assume it is not advisable to print directly onto the platform?

I'll get onto the supplier in China about the missing Tape Sheets, but I'm going to need more in the future anyway, so does anyone know a good source for these in Australia – preferably Brisbane?

Is there only one type of Tape Sheet, or will there be a type of sheet specific to my printer?

Also, how should I go about obtaining a glass platform? There is a Glazier nearby where I can buy glass cut to size, but are there any specifics I need to know as to type of glass? Do I just measure the integral platform for size?

TIA

- Bill
Re: Platform Tape Sheets + Glass
October 02, 2015 03:38AM
On my Prusa i3 I print directly on the heatbed. I have a MK3 with aluminum-backside; flipped it over and taped it with 50mm strips of blue masking tape / painters tape.
Works perfect and needs much lower temperature than glass.
Glass plates are often used for PCB- or silicone heatbeds, but even then a machined cast aluminum plate is the better choice.

If you want a glass plate and print in ABS, then ask for "borosilicate glass ".
For PLA and PETG you can use cheaper floatglass. ( I´ve used picture frames, where the cardboard was used for insulation of the heatbed-bottomside )
-Olaf
October 03, 2015 09:52PM
Thanks for the input.

I have just been alerted to the existence of BuildTak, which seems to have many advantages. But it may be a little expensive, depending on how long it lasts. I'll be giving that a try first.
October 04, 2015 02:55AM
o_lampe
If you want a glass plate and print in ABS, then ask for "borosilicate glass ".
For PLA and PETG you can use cheaper floatglass. ( I´ve used picture frames, where the cardboard was used for insulation of the heatbed-bottomside )
-Olaf

You can print ABS on float glass too if you have an aluminium heat spreader plate between the bed heater and the glass.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login