Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Multiple steppers, same power supply

Posted by theom13 
Multiple steppers, same power supply
October 26, 2015 07:06AM
Hello all!

I have a project which involves 8 steppers (NEMA 17) on the same 15 A, 24 V power supply. I have individual TB6560 drivers for each stepper.
The power supply has 3 outputs.

I was thinking to connect in parallel 3 by 3 by 2 steppers on the 3 outputs, so that the steppers will share the voltage equally. Also, I was thinking to place a switch on the VCC wire of each driver, to control them separately.

Do you think this is a good idea, or should I try something else?

Thanks! smiling smiley
Re: Multiple steppers, same power supply
October 26, 2015 07:24AM
The wiring sound good, but why the switches? The steppers are controlled by the drivers. There would be no excessive power consumption when you leave them on.
Better use an inline blade fuse on each driver VCC. They can act as switches and add safety.
-Olaf
October 26, 2015 08:09AM
My initial thought was to give power to each stepper as I test them, so I wouldn't put to much stress on the power supply all at once.
Thank you for your response! smiling smiley
October 27, 2015 09:41AM
How many amps are you you g to be pushing on each stepper? I'm not sure that you have enough safety margin.
October 27, 2015 11:40AM
DRobs86
How many amps are you you g to be pushing on each stepper? I'm not sure that you have enough safety margin.

Don't confuse stepper amps with PSU amps. The stepper chops (PWM ) the current, so that the PSU amps usually are much lower. 15A is enough for 8 average steppers.
-Olaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2015 11:41AM by o_lampe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login