Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Manipulate Voltage Output to Control Extrusion

Posted by Zernebog 
Manipulate Voltage Output to Control Extrusion
December 08, 2015 11:46PM
I am working on a custom 3D-printing setup where I could change my extrusion speed by changing voltage output to a DC motor. I basically want to run two wire leads to an external control board and vary the voltage across them between 0-10V. I am trying to find a simple way to modify a RamBo printer board, so the printer can change the voltage based on the amount of material to be extruded, just as conventional set-ups vary the number of motor "steps" to achieve this control.

So here are my main questions,
Would it be easier to somehow convert the 4 lead extruder stepper signals to a 2 lead voltage manipulation, or use one of the PWM heater outputs?
If I use the stepper signals, would I need to run the stepper wires through an additional controller, or just modify the RamBo firmware?
If I use a PWM output, how would I achieve a variable voltage gradient as opposed to a simple on/off effect? Additionally, is there a simple way to modify Slic3r gcode to account for this change in the "E" commands?

Those are the methods I came up with, but I might be making it too complicated. If there is a simpler way please feel free to share.

I am also open to building a printer board from the ground up to accomodate this functionality if that would be easier, but I figured working with existing firmware would be beneficial.

I should mention that this extrusion would be termperature independent, because I have a separate set-up for that.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Zernebog
Re: Manipulate Voltage Output to Control Extrusion
December 09, 2015 12:01AM
Just make a frequency to voltage circuit, hung off the 'step' input to the stepper driver.

[www.google.com.au]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2015 12:01AM by nebbian.
December 09, 2015 03:16AM
The power of a DC motor has highly exponential relationship with voltage, while the step signals and the corresponding extrusion is linear.

You would better put a encoder to the DC motor and control the extrusion in a closed loop. There are several fresh threads about this topic.
-Olaf
December 09, 2015 08:24AM
Thanks for the responses,

nebbian
Just make a frequency to voltage circuit, hung off the 'step' input to the stepper driver.

[www.google.com.au]

Nebbian, could you elaborate on this setup? I am looking at your link, and I am seeing a number of different pre-constructed circuits on the market out there. Do you know of one that is specially made for this application?

o_lampe
The power of a DC motor has highly exponential relationship with voltage, while the step signals and the corresponding extrusion is linear.

You would better put a encoder to the DC motor and control the extrusion in a closed loop. There are several fresh threads about this topic.
-Olaf

Olaf, I already have closed loop control of the DC motor setup on a separate control board. This is how I know that I have a linear relationship between my voltage and motor speed; however, maybe there is a simplified way to construct the control. Could you point me to some of the fresh threads you are referencing?

Thanks again,
Zernebog
December 25, 2015 07:52PM
Sounds easier to make the external board take STEP and DIR pins, no?
December 25, 2015 09:33PM
I'm curious, why would you want to do that instead of the tried and tested stepper method?
December 25, 2015 10:35PM
JamesK: He's using DC motors. Lots of advantages and disadvantages, and they may just be experimenting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login