Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bowden setup with flexible element

Posted by Kana Padmaja 
Bowden setup with flexible element
December 28, 2015 04:49AM
Hi,

I'm planning to have Bowden setup for my new printer and i want to try flexible filament with it, But I've seen that with bowden setup we may not get good results using flexible filament,
most of the suggestions are related to gear ratio and extruder only.

So my question is what if we use geared stepper motor at extruder, and its Suggestible gear ratio?

any suggestions regarding it would be helpful.

Thank you in Advance.
Re: Bowden setup with flexible element
December 28, 2015 05:07AM
I've not tried flexible but have recently changed from a bowden extruder to something different as I found the compressibilty/stetching in pla/abs too great to get very precise filament control. So I'd expect much more sloppy filament control with flexible filament.

Shorter tubes will give less trouble and 3mm will work better than 1.75mm.

Cant help but think a direct extruder would work better.
December 28, 2015 03:21PM
I believe 3mm and 1.75mm should work identically, as the pressure should be the same.
December 29, 2015 12:30AM
So cant we get good results for Bowden setup using flexible filament?
December 29, 2015 06:03AM
You can get good results, but you need to print sloooowwwly. I use 6mm/s and even then that's pushing it.

Btw 3mm is a lot stiffer than 1.75mm, but there are always tradeoffs... 3mm moves a lot slower than 1.75 so you end up with just as many control issues.
December 29, 2015 03:39PM
The speed depends on the extruder. I did quite a few experiments with bowden setups for flexible filament and in the end i was able to print at the same speed i use for ABS or PLA. Precise guidance is the key.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login