Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

reprap slicing question

Posted by bizit524 
reprap slicing question
January 13, 2016 09:08AM
Hey there guys,
I am new to 3D printing, so I am sure I will be visiting this forum quite frequently. I am quite a fast learner and am able to fabricate stuff quite easily out of anything, this is why i got a 3d printer.
so currently I am using Cura. i have been reading reviews on whats the best slicing program etc etc. However I haven't been able to find a answer to this question I pose.
I am using Cura because it was the first one I found and it is very very easy to use. HOWEVER, i couldn't find in the options where to pick a item on the print bed and individually set the settings.
Am I missing this? or I am assuming Cura cant do this. Let me clarify what I am asking with an example

I would like to fill my print bed with various items and kick it off right before work, prints while I am at work then boom magically done when I am home. HOWEVER the problem I am having is some items I place on the bed want different settings. example there is a key guard I want to print that is 100% infill , .2 layer height at a fairly high 60mms print speed. but then there is other ones that I have that require only 20% infill, .1 layer height and low print speed of 30-40mms.

Is cura capable of individually setting each piece for different settings? i am guessing no. If no, is there a slicing program that will allow me to do this?

the quick and easy answer which I have already thought of either, just print them seperately (which I dont really want to do) or find objects that print all at the same /generally the same then print them. The latter of the two options is entirely possible but just takes more time ( i am lazy) to find parts that are generally the same.

any suggestions?
Re: reprap slicing question
January 13, 2016 09:45AM
First there's this: [slic3r.org]

Next, since you're new to all this, you should know that most printer's beds aren't flat enough to fill the bed up with parts and print them all successfully. Usually a couple of the outlying parts will break free of the bed, crash into other parts, and then you'll end up with a mess of spaghetti. Until you have tried printing all over the bed and watched it do it successfully, I wouldn't recommend letting it run that way unattended.

You are usually better off printing approximately same height objects together so that none have to sit on the heated bed for too much longer than necessary to finish printing them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2016 10:30AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 13, 2016 09:52AM
perfect i had heard about slic3r but haven't looked into it much as I couldn't see from google if individual settings for parts were capable

I will use that suggestion thanks. Actually this is one of the first upgrades I am going to do is an inductive sensor on it because i already am tired of leveling it. I am printing the needed parts tonight and ordering the sensor tonight as well. Just trying to get my head wrapped around editing the marlin firmware.
January 13, 2016 10:07AM
Autotramming assumes that your print bed is flat, which is often not the case. It may or may not help you to successfully print on the entire bed surface.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login