Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vref check on RAMPS board resulted in short

Posted by hellojava 
Vref check on RAMPS board resulted in short
January 14, 2016 03:43AM
Is it possible for me to short my arduino mega while checking the Vref between the potentiometer and vref pin on a A4988?

My multimeter wasn't picking up a reading, and, when I tried a third time, I noticed my dot matrix screen went off and my computer no longer recognized my device.

I'm thinking I've shorted the voltage regulator.
Re: Vref check on RAMPS board resulted in short
January 14, 2016 04:06AM
It's possible, or it may just be that the voltage regulator decided to fail at that point. If your LCD is a 12864 type, then the backlight will draw quite a lot of current and this will probably overheat the voltage regulator on the Arduino.

Modern electronics such as Duet solve both problems. They provide software-adjustable stepper motor current (so no need to mess around with pots and voltmeters), and 5V switching regulators capable of powering LCDs, servos, touch-screen control panels etc.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Vref check on RAMPS board resulted in short
January 15, 2016 04:20AM
its very possible because its hard to hit the right pins one slip and you fried your logic. happened to me twice alread, so i stopped measuring the pods and just adjust them till they feel rigtht
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login