Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

truss structure in between X smooth rods good idea?

Posted by realthor 
truss structure in between X smooth rods good idea?
February 11, 2016 08:12AM
Hey, I am thinking that my 8mm smooth rods on X could be too thin on a ~320-330mm unsupported length, especially if heavier tools will be mounted there (i am planning light milling with Dremel). So, instead of replacing the X carriage CNC-style, I am thinking of completely bridging the two rods with a truss structure that can be 100% 3d printed. It will still be light enough to jerk around on the Y axis but I think it will be quite a bit stronger than the rods alone.

Basically I am thinking to replicate the following:

Of course in this solution there will not be a structural grip on the length of the rod unless we can somehow strongly bond the plastic with the metal of the rods, maybe using Loctite Plastics Bonding System. I would then use open bearings clamped top-down.

Would this do any good to an already existing 8mm X carriage? -- assuming that this is something doable because the open bearings shouldn't hit or rubb into this structure --

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 08:15AM by realthor.

RepRap Lander concept on Concept Forge
RepRap Lander concept on RepRap Forums
My Things, mostly experimental stuff
Re: truss structure in between X smooth rods good idea?
February 11, 2016 09:21AM
It depends what force you are trying to mitigate. A printed truss between the rods similar to that photo would primarily oppose forces acting to move the rods closer together or further apart, which I wouldn't expect to be a particularly troublesome direction. It's not going to do much for vertical displacement or twisting around the long axis which are the cases I think are most likely to cause problems. It's difficult to deal with the forces for milling without going to heavier components. A box section gantry with the linear rails mounted to it would be a conservative choice. Using linear rails for structure is asking for trouble in anything but the lightest of applications.
February 11, 2016 10:31AM
You can get a quality, used industrial surplus linear guide on ebay for $35. I know, most are higher than that, but keep digging- I recently bought 3 of them for an average price of $34, shipped, including one that is unused. They are so close to perfect, at that kind of price it's crazy to use anything else.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 11, 2016 03:21PM
Yes you are absolutely right...it doesn't make sense at that price.
But if I find that kind of a deal I'll start building a new machine. I want to engineer out the shit out of this one. And I know when things can be done but don't have the skills to use CAM/CAE to test it.

Intuitively I know that clamping a bridge of sorts between the rods would make it some sort of I-beam, the rods clamped themselves by the X carriage , would make a stronger structure than the rods alone but I might be wrong about it. If I am wrong I want to understand why, but I can search the answer by myself if this is too much to ask.

February 11, 2016 04:52PM
Yes but if its stuck to the rods you might have some problems having to use half bearings on an axis it's not really designed for,
4 rail supports on a plate will support both ends, changing to 12mm rod is easy enough.
February 11, 2016 06:09PM
MechaBits
4 rail supports on a plate will support both ends, changing to 12mm rod is easy enough.

Can you explain that a bit more? I don't want to change, i want to use what I have and anything new will go to a new machine. Anf that most likely will be with linear guides.

But for the existing smooth rod X axes, a way to avoid flex due to the weight of the carriage is to make everything more rigid. If there was an easy way -and Loctite says there is- to glue the rods to the bridging material (be it plastic, wood or aluminum) I believe several benefits will have been reached without much gain in weight (going up from plastic to wood/metal).

Having "half bearings" is a bit exagerated, they would be open bearings that will have the opening oriented outwards from the in-between rods structure. Their job would be balanced from equally distributed weight over the "I-beam" structure.

February 11, 2016 06:42PM
Rail supports added to a plate to support rods, one above the other,
Flex should be less than, unsupported(I was thinking end of X unsupported)
Sure it wont be as stiff as the rails in your picture, but 2x8mm above each other should(?) be stiffer(less sag) than side by side? but I have extra cross/tie bar to help out, but obviously cant help with sagging rails, though as I dont intend to hang 1Kg off my rails I am yet to see any effects of sagging...if its a problem I'll swap the rails for 12mm, and I should be less concerned about gravity waves buggering my prints.
February 11, 2016 07:06PM
MechaBits
Rail supports added to a plate to support rods, one above the other,

Ok, I get it now. Yes, that's the kind of solution I am thinking of too, but instead of the metal plate I'm thinking 10mm honey-comb core or other sparse infill that would make the part very light but strong at the same time. My inspiration comes from the OSB I-beam used lately in the architecture and construction fields.

As I see it, the main forces that act upon the smooth rods of an X carriage are the dynamic forces that compound the static weight of the carriage with the momentum generated by movement (acceleration, jerk, inertia, etc). I don't know of any other forces that might have an influence.

February 11, 2016 07:33PM
In general truss structure would be a good idea, but the truss might as well have strategically placed holes to add extra's, Generating a nice profile for extrusion simple enough, cutting honeycomb into it PIA and probably expensive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login