Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Puzzle Cut or What program to use to edit mechanical elements into an organic part?

Posted by McSquid 
Puzzle Cut or What program to use to edit mechanical elements into an organic part?
February 18, 2016 09:09AM
Hi all. I am trying to prepare this file to be printed:
[www.thingiverse.com]

It is too large for my print bed, so I am cutting it into 4 pieces. Normally I would use netfabb to cut it and call it a day, however, this part will need to hold up 2-4 lbs of weight and be swung around / bumped / handled roughly without falling apart. For this reason I want to add interlocking tabs / a puzzle cut to the part for added stability. I found this OpenSCAD library that does just that:
[www.thingiverse.com]

My problem is that no matter what I do I cannot get PuzzleCut to work with my model. It renders with F5 and I can plan my cuts etc. but when I use F6 it errors. I have cleaned the model with Netfabb and Meshlab and still cannot get OpenSCAD to play nice with the model. I have spent hours researching and trying various ways of cleaning it and I give up.

My backup option is to manually edit the model to add tabs and if im editing it anyway, some wire traces and a place to put a battery. My problem here is that the only 3D modeling program I know how to use is Sketchup (The MS Paint of 3D modeling). Sketchup simply cannot handle a model with organic elements like this one since it has so many triangles etc.

I have found other programs that can handle it, but only seem to have tools for modeling organic shapes (Meshmixer) or are code based like OpenSCAD and I just don't understand those. I also have Blender, but it took me hours just to figure out basic functions like select,resize, and export.

TLDR
I have a model I need cleaned enough so it can be run through OpenSCAD and PuzzleCut OR I need a program that I can model mechanical elements into an organic model without being Blender hard to learn. Please help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login