Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Arduino-Marlin Firmware programming question

Posted by Traveler_Lloyd 
Arduino-Marlin Firmware programming question
March 01, 2016 05:52PM
I don't see a good forum to ask this question, so the General forum gets the question. In programming Marlin for an Arduino Mega 2560 board, the list of options is for specific parts. I just got started and it is asking for the brand and model of power supplies, temperature sensors, Ramps board model, etc. The problem is that I am replacing a burned out Melzi board with the Arduino and Ramps. (My Melzi board burned out because of a short due to my poor wiring technique. I melted the power connection on it. The power supply is OK.)

I downloaded the latest versions of the Arduino software and Marlin. And it appears that the new Marlin/Arduino software automatically picked up the Arduino and Ramps board as a Mega 2560 with Ramps 1.3, which was already connected during the software boot. But my power supply is generic. And the temperatures sensors on the hot-end and the bed came with the printer package, and I presume that they are also generic. But the options in the firmware seem to be very specific.

For that matter, there doesn't seem to be an option for anything related to my generic 30 amp power supply: “ATX or X-Box” (I am certain that this one is ATX. But temperature sensors have around 20 options.)

Then there is the option of calibrating the stepper motors, which is important according to the RepRap Org setup page. Calibrating each stepper motor would require disassembling a lot of the printer.

The fact is that I think that all of the parts on my cheap printer are generic, so manufacture names and models are unknown.

So, my question is: Am I over-thinking this? Or is there some settings that I should be using?

All I want to do is throw a new Arduino onto this machine and get it running again. Am I getting too bogged down with the details? Or do I need to rebuild this printer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 05:58PM by Traveler_Lloyd.
Re: Arduino-Marlin Firmware programming question
March 01, 2016 07:04PM
Don't you have your old configuration file and can't you use the settings from that file in your new firmware?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 07:04PM by Frans@France.
Re: Arduino-Marlin Firmware programming question
March 04, 2016 12:36PM
Traveler_Lloyd
And the temperatures sensors on the hot-end and the bed came with the printer package, and I presume that they are also generic. But the options in the firmware seem to be very specific.

For that matter, there doesn't seem to be an option for anything related to my generic 30 amp power supply: “ATX or X-Box” (I am certain that this one is ATX. But temperature sensors have around 20 options.)

Then there is the option of calibrating the stepper motors, which is important according to the RepRap Org setup page. Calibrating each stepper motor would require disassembling a lot of the printer.

If you have the configuration.h from the Marlin used on the Melzi, use that for the info needed.

Thermisters: use 1 and see if they get the expected temperatures.

Power supply: ATX or X-Box means they have a remote way of turning it off/on. Generic 30A power supplies don't unless you wired a relay inside.

Calibrating the motors: the printer has to be assembled to determine the number of steps it takes to move a millimeter.

Calibration guide: [www.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login