Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any way to make cura retract over printed part?

Posted by icefire 
Any way to make cura retract over printed part?
March 16, 2016 06:48AM
So I've just about had enough of Slic3r and its nasty bugs (espessially when filling gaps). I tried Cura and was very impressed. Print quality was improved although I used the same basic settings. However, I can't seem to figure out how retraction with Cura works.The printer retracts every time a perimeter is crossed, i.e. when the hot end travels over areas of the heat bed not covered by the printed part. However, If the head has to move from the one end of the part to the other end of the part and travels over the part only, it refuses to retract.

Any way to make it always retract before every single move bigger than the specified minimal value in the settings?

Self-sourced Mendelmax 2.0-based Reprap Machine -- Ramps 1.4 & Mega 2560 -- DRV8825 (Z@1A, [email protected], [email protected], E@1A) -- genuine E3D v6 direct setup -- 350W custom silicone heated bed -- ABS 1,75mm -- Marlin 1.1.0-RC7 -- Cura 15.04.6
Re: Any way to make cura retract over printed part?
March 16, 2016 12:54PM
Have you tried Ctrl+E expert settings

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
March 16, 2016 03:44PM
... and then select what? I am using Cura integrated in Repetier host where Ctrl+E does nothing. There are Advanced Settings but there I found nothing that works.

Self-sourced Mendelmax 2.0-based Reprap Machine -- Ramps 1.4 & Mega 2560 -- DRV8825 (Z@1A, [email protected], [email protected], E@1A) -- genuine E3D v6 direct setup -- 350W custom silicone heated bed -- ABS 1,75mm -- Marlin 1.1.0-RC7 -- Cura 15.04.6
March 16, 2016 05:33PM
Im not sure there is a "retrct every move" setting, however there is a "combing" function which when enabled means the hotend traces around the perimeters on travel moves, you could also enable z-hop which lifts the nozzle on a travel move - thinking about it I wonder if that might invoke a retract aswell !

Ctrl + E in the normal Cura interface brings up "Expert Settings" which might be the advanced settings your seeing. Might be worth downloading the standalone version to explore about and see what there is in the original version.
March 16, 2016 07:06PM
Combing, and the "avoid crossing perimeters" equivalent in Slic3r can produce some hilariously long (and oddly slow) travel moves with complex shapes. Along with Slic3rs "wipe when retracting" feature I keep them turned off most of the time to keep things moving along.

Which brings me to wondering why you want to retract when moving over the infill?
March 19, 2016 05:30AM
Because otherwise the hot end oozed over the support structure of the printed part. On the one hand you don't see this. On the other hand however, if I use a top/bottom thickness of 3 layers, sometimes the surface of the ready part is compromised because of ozzing 3 layers below the surface. Retracting at every move works better for me and doesn't really cost me much time (0,5mm at 40 mm/s..)

March 19, 2016 08:47AM
Ah, that would make sense. I hadn't considered that ooze on the infill might cause functional problems. Sounds like a lot of ooze? What size nozzle and what travel speed are you using? A large nozzle and slow travel speed would tend to aggravate ooze problems, along with relatively high temperatures for the plastic type you are using. With a 0.4mm nozzle and 250mm/s travel I don't usually get enough ooze to have noticed a problem over the infill (but I'll be looking more closely now!).
March 19, 2016 08:53AM
JamesK
Ah, that would make sense. I hadn't considered that ooze on the infill might cause functional problems. Sounds like a lot of ooze? What size nozzle and what travel speed are you using? A large nozzle and slow travel speed would tend to aggravate ooze problems, along with relatively high temperatures for the plastic type you are using. With a 0.4mm nozzle and 250mm/s travel I don't usually get enough ooze to have noticed a problem over the infill (but I'll be looking more closely now!).

I think that with a higher diameter nozzle you get a lower pressure inside it and less ooze.

I had some real problems with oozing (materials other than ABS) out of original 0.5mm Jhead. Went to 0.6mm E3D lite and oozing is way less.
March 19, 2016 08:56AM
Oh, that's interesting. I'd just assumed larger nozzles would allow the melt to flow out more easily than smaller ones, but I haven't done any testing to confirm it. Changing the entire hot end may confuse matters though, as you will very likely be dealing with different melt volumes as well as the change in the nozzle diameter.
March 31, 2016 12:38PM
It is not a lot of ooze - just enough to be annoying. Sometimes I use 2-3 outer layers to speed up prints and in such situations, depending on the part geometry, this might be an issue.

Problem was resolved by switching to the "real"cura (standalone version).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login