Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

THIS is why you want to find and join your local Makerspace

THIS is why you want to find and join your local Makerspace
May 06, 2016 05:26PM
I was checking the hack-rack at the Milwaukee Makerspace for new, useful stuff today and found two of these. I don't know where they came from or who put them on the hack-rack, but I thank you!

The main thing of use to me are the lead screws, nuts, and end bearings. They will provide about 370 mm of travel. All I had to do was take the things apart. The screws appear to be 5/8" diameter, single start, and 1/8" pitch, though they could be 16 mm dia and 3 mm pitch. I'll have to measure more carefully. Yeah, I know, imperial threads... It hasn't caused any problem for me in my other printer.

Talking with a couple other members who happened to be at the space brought two more extremely useful things. One piece of 1/2" thick cast aluminum tooling plate that is 8.25" x 20.25". He sold it to me for an extremely reasonable $7. When I asked where it came from he steered me to a local metals supplier called Howard Precision Metals. I learned that they sell cut-offs for $1.50/lb for extruded stuff and $2/lb for cast tooling plate.

Find your local Makerspace!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2016 05:26PM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: THIS is why you want to find and join your local Makerspace
May 06, 2016 07:25PM
Spawn of the Son of MegaMax will destroy everything
but the fillings in your teeth.
May 06, 2016 07:35PM
If the machine wasn't going to be moved anywhere, I could have left the screws in the original assemblies and just used those for the Z axis. Unfortunately, each of the assemblies weighed about 30 lbs and I don't feel like hauling that much dead weight when i want to move the printer. The printer won't exactly be light when it's done, but I'd like it to be a 1-man-carry.

If he destroys the fillings in your teeth I'll just replace them!

May 06, 2016 07:42PM
I could do with a new set of nashers(well design now for use later in life), whats best 3D printed ceramic?
But could also do with reducing the cost by getting a scan working on the data with materialize, get them how you want them,
win the lotto...then find a professional.

Some serious scavenging there, amazing prices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2016 12:50AM by MechaBits.
May 07, 2016 12:09PM
Careful measurement finds that the screw is 16 mm diameter with 3 mm pitch. Perfect for a Z axis (probably up to about 100 kg mass!).

May 07, 2016 04:36PM
In your Dental practice are there 3 chairs for patients
and another area for working on 3D printers.

Lots of time to design, machine, assemble
while the carbicaine takes effect?

Do you print / cnc machine teeth?

winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login