Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PTFE tube popping out of e3d v6 hotend

Posted by WalkerMaker 
PTFE tube popping out of e3d v6 hotend
June 07, 2016 10:48AM
Hello,

My PTFE tube keeps popping out of my hotend. I've gotten hundreds of hours of good prints with my setup, but out of the blue I come into to look at my printer in the morning and I'm greeted by a tangled mess lol. The weird thing is, I thought that I had a clog or something, so I stripped my hotend, torched it, and re-assembled it. Got great clean extrusion...and for some reason this keeps happening.

Anyone else run into this issue? I thought it was my PTFE tube so I cut a good portion of it off and re-inserted it, but still getting the same problem.

Just to clarify, using a bowden setup for 1.75mm filament. Been using it for hundreds of hours. Using a genuine e3d v6 hotend.
Re: PTFE tube popping out of e3d v6 hotend
June 07, 2016 11:08AM
I might get crucified for this but I find the e3d bowden tube push-fit to be inferior to the cheapy ones in use almost everywhere else. If its the same design as the bowden adaptor on my e3d titan extruder. Push the tube in and there's about 0.25mm of play in the coupling, unless I hold the release ring out with the screwdriver as I push the tube in, I don't have that problem with these type. I haven't printed hundreds of hours with it yet probably 50 or so but if the design has this deficiency then maybe it has others too.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
June 07, 2016 12:10PM
I try the full metal type, I pick them from robodigg, they are kinda pricey and maybe a little bit more heavy but they hold very good so far, plus its full metal so no need to worry if put them into an heated enclosure. I use the normal blue plastic one from the roll to the extruder cause this one see no pressure really or heat.
June 07, 2016 12:21PM
There is a printable clip (several variations) that go between the locking ring and the brass portion of the fitting. After the tube is installed you push this clip in, and it take the slack out of the retention ring so it cannot move relative to the brass part. Without it the tube will move up and down, slowly wearing a larger groove into it with the gripping fingers of the fitting. Some digging on your favorite model sites should show you a couple examples. There is at least one made specifically for the E3D.
June 07, 2016 12:22PM
Good to know thanks.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
June 07, 2016 01:40PM
Sometimes the end of my PTFE tube gets a bit scratched up and loses it's smoothness - I cut off the last 1cm and push the remainder back in, and there it stays.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login