Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NetFab STL checking alternative?

Posted by jininjin 
NetFab STL checking alternative?
July 02, 2013 10:41AM
Is there is any other software out there that is good for repairing and exporting stl's?. NetFab is great but I wanted to see if there is any alternatives to try.
Thanks!

Flashforge Creator Pro 2016

mUVe3D UltiPro+

Prusa i3 Rework
Ramps 1.4
Repetier
Re: NetFab STL checking alternative?
July 02, 2013 10:56AM
cloud.netfabb.com
and Blender.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 02, 2013 11:23AM
Yeah, for whatever reason, cloud.netfabb.com creates STL files that work better than the "Repair" function in the free version of NetFabb. Give it a whirl.
July 02, 2013 11:06PM
I've read about Meshlab which is open source. I haven't tried it yet.
July 02, 2013 11:08PM
Here is a list of some others [www.meshrepair.org]

I have heard of people using this to repair things that Netfabb will not [sites.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 11:09PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
July 03, 2013 07:28PM
Thanks I will have to give all those a try.
Anyone try the pro version of NetFabb? I saw some good options that might help. I also heard of Magics 17 but I haven't looked into it much yet.
Meshlab is great but tricky since it is not specifically made for 3D prints. I usually end up with a blob.
I will look at blenders mesh options next.
July 04, 2013 07:05AM
I, too can only recommend blender. You have to edit the mesh by hand in some cases, though; but as long as not too many places in your model are non-manifold, this is usually quick and unproblematic.
The most recent versions also include 3D printing specific tools like overhang checking, but I haven't tried that out yet.
October 12, 2016 08:03AM
Hiya everyone,

Any of you try out MakePrintable? This is an online STL repair tool. It fixes nonmanifold surfaces, intersections and flipped faces. It can also check for wall thickness and hollow out your models. You can try it here.
October 12, 2016 08:36AM
Where do you get broken STL files that require repair before they can be printed?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 12, 2016 12:56PM
Thingiverse, youmagine.. Anywhere stl files exist.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
October 12, 2016 05:20PM
Things that cause problems with mesh and need repair

Bad designs, which have no wall thickness, badly extruded from 2D drawings not allowing for the thickness of a wall in regard to outside dimensions or windows within them walls.
Sketch-up was bad at producing good manifold STL files.
Having two separate objects within your design that don't touch can cause non manifold objects

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login