Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help for my thesis

Posted by sluca 
Help for my thesis
October 31, 2016 01:53PM
Hello everyone!
I am a graduate student at the Budapest University of Technology and Economics, and my thesis is design of an FDM based 3D printer. It will be an enclose printer to test new materials with highest temperature.
I would like to ask your help, to fill and share this questionnaire.
Thank you very much, and sorry for my english!

[docs.google.com]...
Re: Help for my thesis
November 01, 2016 04:40AM
The link is dead and I recommmend not to do another printer there are enough out there, also for high temp (see Tractus). Since you have economics in your title it makes much more sense to me to research into distribution and business models for 3d printed products. The hardware market is covered at least to the level that one person within their thesis limits can realistically do. I work with universities and most of the time after I get them down from their 3d printing hype horse I steer them to specific hardware projects (pm me for details) and market anylysis (at least as a pilot study).
November 01, 2016 08:15AM
Here is the link again. Thank you for the comments. Yes there are a lots of printers, but this is an university project, and it will be a test machine, and my supervisor wants an own printer.
[docs.google.com] If you have time, please fill it.

I will watch the printer (Tractus), thanks!
November 01, 2016 02:35PM
Good luck with your thesis.
November 01, 2016 03:19PM
but this is an university project, and it will be a test machine, and my supervisor wants an own printer.
that doesnt sound like a convincing argument at all grinning smiley take the tractus for example. its a decent looking machine with a full company behind it that worked on it for quite some time to come up with the machine product range AND an ultra high temp nozzle, so everything you could need. I dont want to doubt your skills but can you say of yourself that you will be able to achieve something comparable in you thesis time?

if you want to work tech I recommend solving a smaller issue you could for example research how high temp printing with normal materials influences heat degradation and print volume. or I still want to see another take on an encoder that can compare actual vs commanded extrusion and feed that back into the firmware. those to ideas alone will be enough to fill a thesis

economics is a bit more abstract. I myself am working on a thesis that looks at the effect of control and customization on purchase behavious, so there is lots of space for pilot research.
November 01, 2016 05:00PM
sungod3k
but this is an university project, and it will be a test machine, and my supervisor wants an own printer.
that doesnt sound like a convincing argument at all

It does sound quite typical of university projects though. eye rolling smiley

Interesting that, judging by the options in the questions, you seem to only be interested in a Cartesian printer with a movable bed. Also interesting that your questions don't seem to be related to your thesis... if you're looking at building a high-temperature printer, why are you asking what price *I* would pay for a 3D printer, or what I would use one for, or whether I prefer acrylic vs plywood frames?
November 02, 2016 02:02PM
At least the age question was suitably vague.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
November 03, 2016 05:52AM
I think that if I ask 1-2 opinion about the building can be useful.
But another reason is that, it must be some marketing analysis, but it will be an test machine and we don't want to sell it, so I just make some research about what other people prefer (f.e.: netnography - my marketing teacher recommended). Furthermore, in our design tasks we have to prepare questionnaires to collect informations. These are some steps in design methodology, and we should use them in thesis if we want good grade.
November 03, 2016 07:42AM
How much does a degree cost in your country?
The teacher that wants a 3d printer...what does he teach?
tell him to get his finger out and build his own.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2016 02:39PM by MechaBits.
November 04, 2016 05:08AM
sluca
I think that if I ask 1-2 opinion about the building can be useful.
But another reason is that, it must be some marketing analysis, but it will be an test machine and we don't want to sell it, so I just make some research about what other people prefer (f.e.: netnography - my marketing teacher recommended). Furthermore, in our design tasks we have to prepare questionnaires to collect informations. These are some steps in design methodology, and we should use them in thesis if we want good grade.

If you included that in your thesis, I'd give you a bad grade, because it demonstrates that you don't know what's relevant and what isn't, and because it suggests that you're just padding it out with whatever random junk you can think of.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login