Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Orphan printer bed material and mounting system??

Posted by kengineer 
Orphan printer bed material and mounting system??
August 06, 2017 05:23PM
I have an orphan printer that I got from a company (Indimension3D) that collapsed and folded. I was lucky to get much less of a printer than promised, compared to those who got nothing.

The printer had many problems, but I was able to fall back on my tool making, tinkering and thermal control background to work thru them.

This board helped more than any other resource!

It is currently a fine printer with hundreds and hundreds of hours on it.

I recently printed a large thing with a bed temp of 130° and caused the bed to have a de-lamination in one area.

I believe the bed is garolite? With some type of adhesive tape securing it to a thicker aluminum heated platten.

My dream is that someone here will look at the picture I am attaching and identify it and post the components I need to refurbish it. I am not too worried about getting it completely flat, I can get it close and surface grind it to be almost perfectly flat.

I will probably re-skin the platform with garolite, it looks like under $30.00 for a 12" x 12" x 1/16" sheet, but wonder about the tape bonding it to the heated aluminum platen? Of all the issues I have had to work thru, the bed lining has not been an issue in the past.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what the OEM may have used?
Attachments:
open | download - DSCN0223.JPG (75.2 KB)
Re: Orphan printer bed material and mounting system??
August 06, 2017 06:15PM
I have no idea what that is, but PEI sticks most plastics quite well. A 0.7mm thick x 300 x300 mm piece is $16 via amazon.com

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
August 08, 2017 03:06PM
Kengineer

Garolite is like a turnol material, I would remove it and add a build plate material like PEI or other build plate. I sell a range of build plate materials if this is of help through www.andornot.co.uk and have just launched my own material, its competitively priced and more robust.

There is thread below about the material:

Thread of andornot build plate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 03:08PM by andornot.

www.andornot.co.uk, selling new products, including smoothie boards and other useful parts for 3D Printers:

AndOrNot buildplate launched, available in 6 inch, 8 inch, 12 inch and 17 inch square introductory discount code "20reprap"
And Or Not Build Plates
August 24, 2017 09:03PM
So, I pulled the trigger on 2 sheets of Garolite 10 on Ebay. the cost was about 15 per, with about 15 for shipping. I also ordered the 5 pack of adhesive sheets so I can make a mistake or two and still get something to work.

I have always liked the current material and believe that this is equivalent.

I am trying to come up with a way to get the current delaminated sheet off the Mic-6 bed. Since it has been firmly adhered to the aluminum thru many pried off prints over the years, it is well attached.

I am thinking of heating the bed to 175°+c and starting to pry it off. Maybe a wire drawn between the sheet and bed? How would you do it?

I could go to the extreme of removing the bed and surface grinding the aluminum plate to get it off, but that would be a last resort. Any suggestions would be welcome. I understand that without knowing the adhesive that holds it, any suggestions would be a shot in the dark. I only have the pictures I posted for reference as to what is holding it down.

Thanks for any advice, I am looking forward to using the entire bed again.

Ken.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login