Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendel90 not working

Posted by ivancdp 
Mendel90 not working
January 22, 2018 05:11PM
Hello guys,

I really do hope one of you can help me out.

Iv'e built a Mendel 90 from nopheads manual. I sourced all the parts and learned along the way. The mechanical part was pretty easy, the electronics were a bit challenging though.
I hooked everything up and turned it on. The port wasnt showing up but I managed to solve that.

My printer feels kinda shocky, I don't know how to explain, it's like I can feel it when I touch it and sometimes when my foots on the ground it can actually hurt.

But my main frustration is that when I plugged it into my computer and tried to make it move with Pronterface (printrun), it wasnt as smoothly as I expected. I got the z axis to move a bit, but only up and then it completely ignore the endstop and just kept pressing up.
Now the situation is like this when playing around with pronterface: x axis and z axis eventually make sounds that show that they are working. If I try to move the axis, it's frozen there, I can see that the motor is working. But it doesn't move a millimetre. Not even a little bit like I got the z axis to move last night. The y axis never showed any sign of being alive.

I posted the issue on youtube, please take a loot: [youtu.be]

This is the log from pronterface:

Connecting...
Attempted to write invalid text to console, which could be due to an invalid baudrate
Attempted to write invalid text to console, which could be due to an invalid baudrate
start
Printer is now online.
echo:Marlin 1.1.0-RC8
echo: Last Updated: 2016-12-06 12:00 | Author: (none, default config)
Compiled: Jan 22 2018
echo: Free Memory: 3928 PlannerBufferBytes: 1168
echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded
echoconfused smileyteps per unit:
echo: M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z4000.00 E500.00
echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
echo: M203 X200.00 Y300.00 Z5.00 E25.00
echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
echo: M201 X3000 Y3000 Z100 E10000
echo:Accelerations: P=printing, R=retract and T=travel
echo: M204 P3000.00 R3000.00 T3000.00
echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s), E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Y20.00 Z0.40 E5.00
echo:Home offset (mm)
echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
echotongue sticking out smileyID settings:
echo: M301 P22.20 I1.08 D114.00
echo: M304 P10.00 I0.02 D305.40
echo:Filament settings: Disabled
echo: M200 D3.00
echo: M200 D0
echoconfused smileyD init fail
SENDING:M84
Re: Mendel90 not working
January 22, 2018 06:49PM
Guys, one more thing.

I'm trying to understand how to play around with stepper motors to see if they work.
So I got another Ramps board and connected power to it. Then I got a spare stepper motor and tried to make it move.
It only makes high frequency noises, but it doesn't move.

So I thought: why don't I connect the printer motors to this board and try to make them move?
Every axis does the same thing, high frequency noise but no movement. But they are tough, you can't move it by hand.
When I give a command to the printer (when it's making the noise), I can actually move it by hand.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help!
January 22, 2018 08:49PM
On your spare ramps use the ramps test firmware [reprap.org]

This avoids all possible configuration issues

When running it moves all axies back and forth and turns on all mosfets

If you still not getting movement. then check your stepper wiring. A stepper is basically two coils, the ramps stepper connector is simply pins 1&2 are first coil and 3&4 are the second coil.

Also check you have powered it correctly. the two ramps power connectors are both 12v. Make sure you have not wired 5v to the 12v 5amp plug (a common issue, wont damage anything but will not work)
January 23, 2018 04:32PM
I did what you said and could only make the motor move when I plugged it into the y motor on the board. Tried switching the drivers to see if they were fried but again, only y axis.
I did, however, hook up all of the motors of the printer to this y axis connection on the spare board and they all moved, which is good.
Any advices?
January 23, 2018 04:45PM
Actually now every axis work, what should I do?
Do you have a program that lets me control the motors through the dial on the LCD?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login