Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Community Driven 3D Model Upload Site?

Posted by moli 
Community Driven 3D Model Upload Site?
October 06, 2012 06:04AM
Several new "3D Model Upload Sites" have popped up in the tail of the recent Thingiverse ToS controversy. Most of those that I have found seem to promise to not do what Thingiverse did. To be certain that this does not happen, however, I am looking for a community driven site, not just a site with community owned content. Does anyone know of such a site? I would be happy to join forces with any initiative to produce and maintain such a site. Please let me know. It should, naturally, be fully based on FOSS :-)
Re: Community Driven 3D Model Upload Site?
October 06, 2012 04:48PM
Do you mean 'governed by the community', that the community makes decisions about it? Tbh i think it is pretty straight forward what we want, a reasonably neutral/incorruptable/robust, place to put physibles.

Personally i am really for making it easy to just duplicate such a whole website. Which is why i basically asked for torrents to contain all submitted data. If a few people get and seed the torrents, and list the torrent files, that gets us a lot of robustness.
October 06, 2012 06:42PM
Torrents are good but I would like it better if it was based on an RCS such as git, mercurial, or bazaar. I like the approach of Cubehero, but the site should be under community control. There should be a site for browsing physibles, not only torrents or RCS branches.

I would be happy to contribute some bandwidth, storage, and CPU from my own web server, but it would not scale, of course. Do anyone know about a distributed, P2P approach for hosting? I like Python+WSGI+Apache2, but I am not skilled enough to pull this off.
October 06, 2012 07:57PM
Torrent works well when files are active. Once dl/ul activity slows down or if all seeds disconnect and the file is no longer complete among all the leechers, then it fails miserably.
October 07, 2012 12:56PM
"P2P approach for hosting"

Is fraught with problems. First off, it's inherently closed source. Secondly, it's a great recipe for compromising one's own system security. P2P is only viable with trusted sources.
October 07, 2012 05:08PM
Really? Hardly anyone ever checks who their peers are with torrents, and i have never heard of the torrent programs themselves being security risk particularly.. And don't the files have checksums? Seems unlikely you can't use a hard-to-forge checksum, unless the torrent specification and implementation developpers messed up..(you forge the file to be different but have the right checksum, that is)
October 07, 2012 06:36PM
Torrent will only work well if there's a site that would always seed all the files.
October 10, 2012 08:13PM
If anyone is planning on reinventing this as totally community-owned please make it look and function like the one you are trying to replace - it works very well and is easy to navigate.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
October 10, 2012 09:08PM
Does anyone know if thingiverse is based off an open source platform (ie. wordpress)?

I would think that a forum would work just as well. You could use torrents to host the files and use a post to keep things up to date. It would not be the same as thingiverse but it would be damn close.
October 10, 2012 09:08PM
brnrd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Torrent will only work well if there's a site that
> would always seed all the files.

that seems pretty easy to arrange.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login