Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gen 6 borad firmwre upgrage?

Posted by 3eality 
Re: Gen 6 borad firmwre upgrage?
December 01, 2012 11:45AM
Yes 644 mit 16MHz is correct.

The error comes from avrdude, the program uploading the compiled file. Sometimes you get it, normally not. I guess avrdude retried and was then succesfull. You should see if it sucessfull, because sou should be able to connect and M115 should report the new firmware.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
December 01, 2012 08:34PM
@ repetier thank you.
What is M115 and also could you please direct me to next steps
December 02, 2012 03:22AM
M115 is a command to show the firmware installed. A good command list can be found here: [www.reprap.org]

For further instuctions you could read my homepage. If you have a special problem you can ask.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
December 03, 2012 05:50AM
@Repetier,

Hi, Whatever I do, I am getting the error 'avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00'

What is the Programmer I should select jn Arduino (Tools>Programmer). I have selected AVRISP mkII.

Dinesh
December 03, 2012 05:56AM
You don't use a programmer. You use the bootloader. When you added the boards.txt file into your ide this also containes the settings for the bootloader. Make sure you have changed it to arduino (that was what i needed when I startet using it, older avrdude named this stk500 or so and the one in arduino 1.x want arduino there).

Sometimes the auto reset does not work. The correct way is:
1. You click upload button and ide compiles.
2. You see compiled length, uploading starts
3. After a few seconds the communcation led on the gen6 flickers fast indicating the upload.
3b. if 3 doesn't happen, press the reset button and see if flickering starts. Sometimes it helps.

December 03, 2012 07:02AM
Tried once again - but doesn't work.

What changes do I have to make in the boards.txt. The one I have done is 'atmega644.upload.protocol=arduino' is there anything else I need to change?
December 03, 2012 07:19AM
No, that is exactly the line I was talking about. Have you tried the reset trick or did you see the flickering led?
As an alternative try Arduino 023 with matching sanguino files. It has a different avrdude version for uploading. All I can say is that my gen6 worked on both versions, so I'm not sure what your problem is. If nothing helps ask the shop if they have uploaded the original bootloader or something different, or a bootloader at all.

As a last solution you could really use a programmer, but I doubt you have one at hand? If you have, there is a 6 pin header on the gen6 for uploading bootloader/firmware.

December 03, 2012 08:42AM
repetier Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, that is exactly the line I was talking about. - So did you mean I have to change or I should just use the one given in the boards.txt as it is

> Have you tried the reset trick or did you see the
> flickering led?Yes I did but the LED was not flickering

> As an alternative try Arduino 023 with matching
> sanguino files. It has a different avrdude version
> for uploading. Given it a try but getting the same error

All I can say is that my gen6
> worked on both versions, so I'm not sure what your
> problem is. If nothing helps ask the shop if they
> have uploaded the original bootloader or something
> different, or a bootloader at all. Will send a query and will let you know
>
> As a last solution you could really use a
> programmer, but I doubt you have one at hand? If
> you have, there is a 6 pin header on the gen6 for
> uploading bootloader/firmware.Yes, fortunately a local hacker space has got this. One of my mate has offered to help me to use it. Could you tell me what boot loader you have on your board and where I can download it. I will use exactly the same to load

Few more questions:
1. Do you upload the firmware while the printer ports (molex connectors) are attached to the board or you remove them all and load it?
2. I have got Gen6 board. the equivalent of this in your firmware is 5. However, if I use this to load the firmware, it is giving a log of errors. and the equivalent of Gen6 1.4.1 above is 71 in your firmware. If I use this I am getting the avrdude error. I have attahced a photo of the description of my board. Which one I have to use 71 or 5?
Attachments:
open | download - Dinesh Gen6 board.jpg (430.4 KB)
December 03, 2012 08:48AM
3eality Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> repetier Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > No, that is exactly the line I was talking
> about. - So did you mean I have to change or I
> should just use the one given in the boards.txt as
> it is
>
Leave it as it is.
>

> All I can say is that my gen6
> > worked on both versions, so I'm not sure what
> your
> > problem is. If nothing helps ask the shop if
> they
> > have uploaded the original bootloader or
> something
> > different, or a bootloader at all. Will send a
> query and will let you know
> >
> > As a last solution you could really use a
> > programmer, but I doubt you have one at hand?
> If
> > you have, there is a 6 pin header on the gen6
> for
> > uploading bootloader/firmware.Yes, fortunately a
> local hacker space has got this. One of my mate
> has offered to help me to use it. Could you tell
> me what boot loader you have on your board and
> where I can download it. I will use exactly the
> same to load
>
Not really. Fortunetely my board worked always as expected. I think it is the bootloader is part of the sanguino files you downloaded. I would use exactly this bootloader, as it is the one sanguinos are supposed to have.
>
> Few more questions:
> 1. Do you upload the firmware while the printer
> ports (molex connectors) are attached to the
> board or you remove them all and load it?

I leave everything connected.

> 2. I have got Gen6 board. the equivalent of this
> in your firmware is 5. However, if I use this to
> load the firmware, it is giving a log of errors.
> and the equivalent of Gen6 1.4.1 above is 71 in
> your firmware. If I use this I am getting the
> avrdude error. I have attahced a photo of the
> description of my board. Which one I have to use
> 71 or 5?
71 is gen7 1.4.1 and higher. That is a completely different board.
You definitely need MOTHERBOARD 5.
What compile errors do you get with type 5?

December 03, 2012 09:01AM
Below the is the error message:

In file included from C:\Users\Dinesh\Desktop\arduino-1.0.1\hardware\sanguino\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:213,
from /Reptier.h:23,
from Commands.cpp:23:
C:\Users\Dinesh\Desktop\arduino-1.0.1\hardware\sanguino\variants\standard/pins_arduino.h:62: error: expected unqualified-id before numeric constant
C:\Users\Dinesh\Desktop\arduino-1.0.1\hardware\sanguino\variants\standard/pins_arduino.h:63: error: expected unqualified-id before numeric constant

Settings I have used for compilation:
I am using Arduino 1.0.1 and sanguino files from 0101r1
Motherboard 5
no changes to boards.txt - used it as provided by Sanguino
selected ATmega644p board in tools

Did I miss anything

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2012 09:03AM by 3eality.
December 03, 2012 10:36AM
With Arduino 1.5 I had the same problem. Simply delete the two lines where SCL/SDA are defined. It is already present as macro which causes the problem.

December 04, 2012 03:14AM
HI all,

I'm the "mate" from the local hacker space (CCHS), who are also the meeting point for the Melbourne RepRap Users Group (MRRUG).

After talking to 3eality, then reading this thread fully, I have a feeling that be board hasn't got a bootloader on it and just has the firmware directly loaded onto the board.

Fortunately at CCHS we have an Adafruit USBtinyISP, so we should be able to properly load a bootloader on it. I'll chase down the Sanguino bootloader and see what we can do. Hopefully then we can get somewhere with this Gen6 board.

If anyone knows of any gotchas regarding loading a bootloader on Gen6, can you please point it out? Seems the Gen6 page on the wiki is woefully out of date (eg: points to the Mendel Parts website for files that are no longer available). If we get anywhere I'll update things so it's got the right info.

Many thanks.

Updates:

First issue I've hit: Which bootloader? There's ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega644p.hex and also ATmegaBOOT_644P.hex available (from the Sanguino 1.0.1r1 ZIP file). Does it matter which we burn onto the Gen6 board, as both seem to be for a 644p? I personally favour the ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega644p.hex file (seems more likely since there are other hardware variants in that dir).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2012 03:27AM by Cefiar.
December 04, 2012 06:55AM
I would favour the ATmegaBOOT_644P.hex as it is avr on board. Gen6 has a FTDI chip for usb communication. Newer Arduino Mega have a second AVR on board for usb communication. ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega644p.hex sounds a bit like it is for a similar combination, but is only a guess. The good thing with an isp is that you can always retry.

December 11, 2012 07:18AM
FWIW: In the end we just selected the Sanguino 644P board in the Arduino IDE, told it to use the USBTinyAVR (the Adafruit one, which was what I had on hand), and just told it to load the bootloader.

We were then able to load Repetier across the standard USB cable and get things going successfully.

Note: I removed the power jumper from the USBTinyAVR and ran the Gen6 board off it's own PSU.

Many thanks!
March 16, 2013 09:13PM
ive compiled and uploaded the repetier firmware for my Gen6 but when i run the host and connect to the printer it doesnt seem to actually be connected, under printer info it says unknown type and extruders is at 1. under manual control it says 5 commands waiting , guess these are connect commands ?? and it adds on more if i try and move an axis.

on my gen6 board the debug light and power light are on and solid. i have no idea whats wrong as the firmware seemed to compile and upload without a problem.

also the motors dont seem to engage/buzz when i connect :\

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 09:32PM by Rooski.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login