Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Creality CR-10 V1 - is it worth the effort?

Posted by gruetzwurschd 
Creality CR-10 V1 - is it worth the effort?
August 07, 2023 12:47PM
Hi together,

in 2017 I bought the Creality CR10 V1.

The last years i did not have time to use it, but 2 weeks ago I pulled it out of my shelf and started again.

I did some upgrades back in the days:
- updated Board MKS Gen L v1.0
- TMC2208 drivers
- Hotend fan and some self printed updates
- 3D Touch Sensor (BL Touch Clone)
- instead of the glass surface I added a mirror as printbed

Since I started to fix and use it recently I was thinking about some updates.
- new Printbed surface
- update to 24V heat bed (+24V power supply needed)
- using CR touch
- electronics integrated into the printer and not a separate box
- …

To be honest, I was also checking what happened the last years, and basically today the printers have out of the box 24V heat beds, ABL, 32Bit boards,
Since the CR10 was anyway a little to big for me, I asked myself:
Does it really make sense to upgrade the printer and spend my money and my time, or throw it away and directly buy a new one.
Re: Creality CR-10 V1 - is it worth the effort?
August 08, 2023 01:47AM
This depends on your personalty type

Are you a tinkerer or just a consumer?
August 26, 2023 05:46AM
What printer(s) are you considering that you can buy right now out of the box and don't require any upgrades?
August 26, 2023 06:07AM
Westley Roberts
What printer(s) are you considering that you can buy right now out of the box and don't require any upgrades?

I got the impression, the Creality Ender S1 Pro is out of the box a very good printer. Maybe changing the fans would be necessary.

But anyway, the last weeks I cleaned up all the cables etc. for the CR 10 and screwed the whole electronics into a Box and attached that directly on the Printer. But now a I’m at the point where I have to decide if I would like to spend more money for the CR10 or switch to another Model.
August 26, 2023 06:11AM
Dust
This depends on your personalty type

Are you a tinkerer or just a consumer?

Technically I would prefer build things with my printer, instead of building my printer smiling smiley
August 26, 2023 07:47AM
gruetzwurschd
Westley Roberts

I got the impression, the Creality Ender S1 Pro is out of the box a very good printer. Maybe changing the fans would be necessary.

But anyway, the last weeks I cleaned up all the cables etc. for the CR 10 and screwed the whole electronics into a Box and attached that directly on the Printer. But now a I’m at the point where I have to decide if I would like to spend more money for the CR10 or switch to another Model.

Not sure if you mean Ender 5 S1 or Ender 3 S1 Pro. Neither of those are ABL (they have auto bed mesh, not auto bed leveling), or have an enclosure, linear rails, so they could still be upgraded a ton. But I see what you mean. For the difference in a magnetic pei flex plate, a CR touch, and a 24V heated bed, you're asking if it's really worth it.

Why do you want a 24V heated bed? Is it to get to higher temps to print ABS? But then do you have an enclosure? Or is it just convenience, heats up faster?

I just bought my first 3d printer. A CR10 v3, I bought it used, haven't got it running yet, but I don't have any regrets. It came with all kinds of upgrades and a tent. But I do plan to make a better one. I'm thinking something based on a RatRig Vcore or a Voron, fully enclosed. But now it's handy because I have a printer to make the parts with, and learn about printing before I commit to a big project.

I had a look at the Elegoo Neptune series, I almost bought an Elegoo Neptune 3 Pro. It was on kijiji for $220 basically brand new with 4 rolls of filament. But I decided I wanted a minimum build volume of 300x300x300 to be able to print cosplay helmets in one go. I think the Neptune 4 comes with some version of klipper stock out of the box. Maybe worth having a look at if you go this route. It has great reviews but honestly, I don't really know how many YouTubers are paid shills vs honest reviewers. In my research into some printers I totally lost respect for some of them when I realized some of the glaring and obvious flaws that some printers have and yet the expert reviewer didn't seem to notice. So would you really be getting a printer that doesn't need more upgrades? I don't know, I just don't.

But if you'd prefer a printer that's a bit smaller and you can find a good deal locally on an Elegoo Nepture 3 Pro, or 4 Pro, or Ender 3 S1 Pro or Ender 5 S1, then after you sell your CR-10 the difference in price might be less than it would cost to do the upgrades. So yeah, maybe worth it for you.

I'd personally avoid things like the bamboo labs. I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10 foot pole. I'm preemptively showing my disdain before someone brings it up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login