Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rep-Rap For General Lumber.

Posted by Ozymandias 
Rep-Rap For General Lumber.
November 17, 2008 04:04PM
Hey Guys!

I have a new project that I am working on, which calls for an Open-Source 3D (Depth limited to 6") General Lumber (4'x8'x6" max size) CNC Machine that can cut all of its own parts.

Is anyone aware of such a project, and if not, any advice on where to get started?

Thanks!
Re: Rep-Rap For General Lumber.
November 17, 2008 04:36PM
Reminds me of the Tommelise ( [www.3dreplicators.com] ) -- a largely wood-built 3-axis robot that can be used for subtractive (milling) or additive (printing) construction of parts, including itself.
November 17, 2008 11:07PM
Ozymandias, poke around on cnczone and then ask some questions, although my impression is that people building 4x8 machines first research the matter and then build out of steel or aluminum.
e.g. this thread:
[www.cnczone.com]

For smaller machines, there are a fair number of people building smaller cnc routers out of wood and mdf with quite satisfactory results.
*Joes CNC Model 2006, on cnczone
[www.cnczone.com]
*JGRO plans on cnczone
[www.cnczone.com]
*Patrick Hood-Daniel's machines ($35 for plans):
[buildyourcnc.com]

If you do end up building a machine from steel, look at mechmate.com, he's got free plans for a 4x8 and 5x10 and a number of happy builders. Build cost is around ?$6k+?
[www.mechmate.com]

I've been daydreaming about building a big router using a RepRap, but I'm not sure how I'd go about it. Something like steel tubing for the linear elements, and making some of the more complicated geometric bits out of epoxy resin with quartz aggregates, cast in molds made with a RepRap and laser-cutter (or cnc router), as per the excited chittering here:
[forums.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2008 11:48PM by SebastienBailard.
November 17, 2008 11:45PM
Han - Thanks for the heads up, Talk about boot-strap operation, that guys has my props.

Sebastien - Funny how you mention materials. I know I'm not the first person to come-up with this idea, I'm interested actually more by why someone hasn't done this yet.

Thank you! I'll dive in to cnczone, thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login