Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

simple line drawing bot

Posted by Martin Isak Jansen 
simple line drawing bot
November 19, 2008 04:26PM
Hey all!

This is so exiting! However, instead of building a full reprap I want to make a printer. I was thinking of a basic XY system holding a ink pen on a paper and a Z for lifting the pen from the paper.

Now here is the question. Could I use a reprap setup: arduino board (with g-code firmware), three stepper motor drivers, six opto end stops and a powersuply.

Could I set this up as if it was a reprap but completely skip the other parts like basically the whole head and such. Then feed the arduino a g-code file of the 2D drawing. Only adding instructions in the file of where to lift the Z (the pen), move it, and lower it again.

Any thoughts or suggestions? smiling smiley
Re: simple line drawing bot
November 19, 2008 04:53PM
Why don't you talk to Leav?

[www.youtube.com]

You can follow the discussion he's having at...

[forums.reprap.org]
sid
November 19, 2008 06:54PM
you certainly can,
but wouldn't it be a much simpler approach to just go and buy one of those oldschool flatbed plotters they sell at ebay for cheap?
you wouldn't have to spend hundreds of dollars but some twenty bucks
and you can plot right away and don't have to spend hours in building a printer winking smiley

But, be welcome to build a darwin of course...
maybe one day you want 3d as well winking smiley

'sid
Thank you for reply.

Forrest Higgs: Thats a nice tips. I'l look into that. It looks exactly like what I need. smiling smiley

sid: I know, it would probably be easier to by one from ebay. But is not building it the fun part? When it's finished and you have printed a few things. Then the question is, how can I improve this and make it do so and so? It's just for fun smiling smiley

Another thing. Maybe it's good to base it on the reprap system. It might be easier if I want to expand or change something.

Next step: find out what things I can find here for cheep or free. Then how to use it to make the rig. Up, up, up and away! winking smiley
sid
November 20, 2008 01:12PM
true martin,
building IS fun, but only for those who want to build things not for those who need it working yesterday, that's why I mentioned winking smiley

You may want to keep the design as it is, because you can use that as a small plotter (keep in mind that you only have a standard size of ~30 x ~30 cm )
but the real funpart of keeping this design as a plotter is, you can draw on almost every 2.5D surfaces (2.5 because you'll have to access the spot from straight above) not only flat objects winking smiley

'sid
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login